Scroll Compressor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's starting to warm up out there and it's time for me to think about replacing the A/C compressor in ol Smoky.
I asked about R4 replacement scroll type compressors in someone else's thread and either didn't get a response or I can't remember what it was.
Are they any good? Seems they would reduce load on the engine and be able to spin up more than the reciprocating pistons of the conventional R4. My ECM monitors clutch engagement but doesn't control it so I can't unlock the clutch when I mash the motor pedal to the floor.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It's starting to warm up out there and it's time for me to think about replacing the A/C compressor in ol Smoky.
I asked about R4 replacement scroll type compressors in someone else's thread and either didn't get a response or I can't remember what it was.
Are they any good? Seems they would reduce load on the engine and be able to spin up more than the reciprocating pistons of the conventional R4. My ECM monitors clutch engagement but doesn't control it so I can't unlock the clutch when I mash the motor pedal to the floor.

I believe the consensus is that they under perform compared to a piston compressor at lower rpm. The R4 style scroll replacement has too large of a pulley on it given the lower rpm of a typical TBI engine. Great idea, poor execution kind of thing. The only scrolls I have been around have probably a 0.5:1 overdrive on the belt ratio, suckers really have to spin for decent cooling.

Personally I would convert from the R4 to a V7.

Checkout @ Wildblue19 V7 swap on his suburban. He just posted back with an update the other day. V7 is working well for him.