A/c compressor leak?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kolgeirr

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was told the unit on my '99 was doing that... the second one in two years to do it from what I understand. The shop I was at suggested the previous fixes didn't torque it correctly and "it happens easily." Any thoughts on that before I try my own hand at a fix?
Thanks!
If it's bad enough that you're planning to replace the compressor, just put a Sanden ("SD7H15 Style") compressor on instead of the HT6. It's a direct swap and doesn't suffer the same issues due to the different case style, and isn't any more expensive than the HT6. I put one in my Suburban when the HT6 case failed, got it on Rock Auto for around $130, though I assume they can be found other places as well.

rockR67

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the input. It's not a terrible leak, but I'll have the rest of the system down soon working on other parts and hooking the rear back in. So I can either do it then, or keep feeding it a can of r134a once in a while. Not a bad leak, but the system will already be open.

kolgeirr

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the input. It's not a terrible leak, but I'll have the rest of the system down soon working on other parts and hooking the rear back in. So I can either do it then, or keep feeding it a can of r134a once in a while. Not a bad leak, but the system will already be open.
Oh yeah, then go ahead and do it while you're in there. I've been happy with my Sanden one. When I had my system apart to remove the rear HVAC I replaced everything up front; compressor, new lines, new evap core, dryer, orifice tube, condenser, new HVAC blend doors and actuators. Might have been overkill, but really didn't want to have to recover and refill that system any time soon..

alpinecrick

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If it's bad enough that you're planning to replace the compressor, just put a Sanden ("SD7H15 Style") compressor on instead of the HT6. It's a direct swap and doesn't suffer the same issues due to the different case style, and isn't any more expensive than the HT6. I put one in my Suburban when the HT6 case failed, got it on Rock Auto for around $130, though I assume they can be found other places as well.
Does the Sanden use a different bracket than the HT6?

Moleman

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
R4 compressors were used throughout 1995 model year on these trucks. The switch from R12 to R134a refrigerant was 1994. The type of refrigerant does not dictate which style of compressor was used. The "R4" name indicates it's a 4 piston compressor with the pistons arranged in a radial pattern, vs. the older A6 compressor which is an axial 6 piston design.

The R4 is *somewhat* known for leaking around that seam, once it gets a whole lot of years of usage. They usually grenade before they leak. On the other hand, the HT6 compressors used from 1996-up are more known for leaking in the middle where the two case halves meet, earning it the name "belly leaker."

Richard
I noticed that in the R-4 compressor that takes r134 it had a extra line coming off the back . Near the high side pressure port. Maybe it's because this one was driverside mounted.maybe it was just an M body thing.

rockR67

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Oh yeah, then go ahead and do it while you're in there. I've been happy with my Sanden one
Thanks. Looks like Rock Auto is listing several as "sanden style" and maybe a $230ish dollar item that could be the real thing based on pictures. I'll be doing the evaporator, blend doors and everything else too. Heater core while I'm in there looking at it at the same time. Not really looking forward to the dash disassembly but I'll take it slow and get it done. Thanks again.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Looks like Rock Auto is listing several as "sanden style" and maybe a $230ish dollar item that could be the real thing based on pictures.

You can buy the compressors directly from Sanden. Looks like their online ordering is down at the moment but they list an email that you can place an order through.

https://www.sanden.com/storemessage?model=4440

rockR67

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
You can buy the compressors directly from Sanden. Looks like their online ordering is down at the moment but they list an email that you can place an order through.

Great - thanks for the link.

Crazyagain

Reaction score
Does anyone know the amounts ofpag oil that has to go into the system? It’s still the 95 2 door Tahoe. I have a new compressor and dryer going on.