A/c compressor leak?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Crazyagain

Reaction score
I shave a question. Hopefully I’m in the right spot. Hopefully I can post a photo to show what i mean.
I bought my truck recently and the only previous owner put die in the lines. I’m getting green coming out of the outer edge/ seam of the compressor. I have not found anything that shows this as a spot to leak. Not a video that shows anything even close to the area I’m seeing the green as a possible location for a leak.
My second spot I’m seeing it is when I take the cap off the high pressure line. I see a little green and also where it was put in at the low side port. I tried cleaning the area out with a q tip to see it I get more coming out. The charge lasted about 4 days. The second phot has this because I had to change my vacuum pump thanks for any assistance

Attachments

• IMG_5402.jpeg
    IMG_5402.jpeg
    110.4 KB · Views: 23

Moleman

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have the same leak on mine. But that's odd your compressor leaked out in 4 days
You must be registered for see images attach
and I only put 2 cans in mine a year ago and it's still blowing. Is yours the newer compression like 93-94 or is it the old one like mine?

kolgeirr

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The original compressor on my Suburban failed similarly; the only system leak was at the seals in the compressor housing. It was worse than yours. I charged it in the morning I got the truck, hit the road home, and 100 miles into the drive I had no A/C charge left. Popped the hood and could see the refrigerant boiling out of the compressor seals.

The last 150 miles were in 95 degree heat with the windows down. Not a great ride.

The good news is that, now that your system's empty, you can just slap a new compressor on and refill. If you want to DIY, you just need a set of manifold gauges and a vacuum pump to evacuate the system before recharge. Though you may need to change out more stuff if you're on an older R12 system and are switching to R134a. I don't know the details on that, so I'll leave it to the other folks here to guide you on that one.

Ranger550

Reaction score
I have the same leak on mine. But that's odd your compressor leaked out in 4 days
You must be registered for see images attach
and I only put 2 cans in mine a year ago and it's still blowing. Is yours the newer compression like 93-94 or is it the old one like mine?
Yours is the R-4 compressor. They tend to run a long time.

Moleman

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It's OK , my 1998 H-6 A/C compressor is still running fine at 25 years of age.
Ah. So I was looking at the pics a bit closer. I know the 93-95 trucks had a lot of weird stuff they where throwing on these trucks then.they changed from R-12 to R-134. Now my 94 ASTRO van had a r4 style compression that took r-134 is it still a r4. I'm only asking since I seen the poster had the one that takes the 134.

Crazyagain

Reaction score
The original compressor on my Suburban failed similarly; the only system leak was at the seals in the compressor housing. It was worse than yours. I charged it in the morning I got the truck, hit the road home, and 100 miles into the drive I had no A/C charge left. Popped the hood and could see the refrigerant boiling out of the compressor seals.

The last 150 miles were in 95 degree heat with the windows down. Not a great ride.

The good news is that, now that your system's empty, you can just slap a new compressor on and refill. If you want to DIY, you just need a set of manifold gauges and a vacuum pump to evacuate the system before recharge. Though you may need to change out more stuff if you're on an older R12 system and are switching to R134a. I don't know the details on that, so I'll leave it to the other folks here to guide you on that one.
It’s a

it’s a 134 system. I’ll get the compressor and give it a try. Will change as much as I can and do the proper evacuation, clean and refill. Advance auto by me has all the tools as loaners. So them and a few YouTube University videos and I’ll be all good. Thanks

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Ah. So I was looking at the pics a bit closer. I know the 93-95 trucks had a lot of weird stuff they where throwing on these trucks then.they changed from R-12 to R-134. Now my 94 ASTRO van had a r4 style compression that took r-134 is it still a r4. I'm only asking since I seen the poster had the one that takes the 134.
R4 compressors were used throughout 1995 model year on these trucks. The switch from R12 to R134a refrigerant was 1994. The type of refrigerant does not dictate which style of compressor was used. The "R4" name indicates it's a 4 piston compressor with the pistons arranged in a radial pattern, vs. the older A6 compressor which is an axial 6 piston design.

The R4 is *somewhat* known for leaking around that seam, once it gets a whole lot of years of usage. They usually grenade before they leak. On the other hand, the HT6 compressors used from 1996-up are more known for leaking in the middle where the two case halves meet, earning it the name "belly leaker."

Richard

rockR67

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
On the other hand, the HT6 compressors used from 1996-up are more known for leaking in the middle where the two case halves meet, earning it the name "belly leaker."

I was told the unit on my '99 was doing that... the second one in two years to do it from what I understand. The shop I was at suggested the previous fixes didn't torque it correctly and "it happens easily." Any thoughts on that before I try my own hand at a fix?
Thanks!