99’ 6.5 to 496BBC swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Aussiecrewcab

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I have searched at length but have not quite found what I’m after, but apologies if discussed and I can’t find it.

Currently have a 99’ 6.5 4L80e crew cab dually but under load the 6.5 is overheating etc. I don’t want to go down the path of replacing it with another 6.5, and due to lack of knowledgeable guys out here with Cummins / duramax swaps I’m looking to do a 496bbc swap but plan on running Holley terminator X max EFI.

My questions are as follows…

1. I want to maintain cruise control, so would I be best to use a factory 454 cruise unit which is cable driven. Or is there another way I should be doing it.

2. Do I need to change the dash harness to a factory gas / 454 harness to suit gas cluster ? Or just change over the cluster.

3. I plan on running Holley Terminator X max as it gives ability to control the 4L80e. Has anyone had experience with similar ?

Obviously I have to change fuel supply system, but as far as I’m aware the tanks are the same, just need to change sending units etc.

Please advise where else I’m missing / any other advice.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My questions are as follows…
1. I want to maintain cruise control, so would I be best to use a factory 454 cruise unit which is cable driven. Or is there another way I should be doing it.
2. Do I need to change the dash harness to a factory gas / 454 harness to suit gas cluster ? Or just change over the cluster.
3. I plan on running Holley Terminator X max as it gives ability to control the 4L80e. Has anyone had experience with similar ?
Obviously I have to change fuel supply system, but as far as I’m aware the tanks are the same, just need to change sending units etc.
I would maintain the factory cruise control. All it really does is pull the throttle for you. The hardest part is figuring out where to mount it on the throttle arm. Being that you're going with a more powerful engine, I'll mount it further out on the throttle arm so it doesn't have an aggressive attack.

I have no experience with the Terminator X Max, but I'm researching to try and figure out how I'm going to run the engine and transmission on Roscoe, my '88 one-ton. I think I'm in the same boat of spending two or three grand controlling my engine and transmission. I do have a Sniper on WCJr, my '89 half-ton, and it gives me a little more confidence in installing a more expensive Holley EFI.

demps101

Reaction score
there are ways to keep that 6.5 cool if you want. If you wanna swap to something else tho anything is possible just got done with a 1976 ford highboy f250 6.7 twin turbo cummins swap. I did a 12 valve cummins swap in a 55 international fire truck and a 85 k5 blazer cummins swap. I'm getting ready to to try a lly duramax swap into my 94 suburban. Ask me anything. I'll help where i can if you wanna keep a diesel.

Aussiecrewcab

Reaction score
there are ways to keep that 6.5 cool if you want. If you wanna swap to something else tho anything is possible just got done with a 1976 ford highboy f250 6.7 twin turbo cummins swap. I did a 12 valve cummins swap in a 55 international fire truck and a 85 k5 blazer cummins swap. I'm getting ready to to try a lly duramax swap into my 94 suburban. Ask me anything. I'll help where i can if you wanna keep a diesel.
The 6.5 is looooong gone. I’m doing 502BBC

99xcss4

frank'n (truburban) K-2500
Reaction score
I would get a cluster and dash harness from a gas truck also the harness from a gas truck that goes to the rear of the truck the tail light harness also has the fuel pump wires and sending unit gauge wires in it