98 vortec cam

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

slowburb

all motor
Reaction score
You don't need those heads. They're no better than the gm castings on your engine right now. They have smaller "non-vortec" intake ports, larger combustion chambers, and aren't really intended for the type of buildup you're trying to put together. They do not have the vortec raised runner, they just share the vortec bolt pattern. Vortecs are good for 450 horses in stock form, which is more power than your fuel system can support.

Too much cam and not enough gear will make jack a dull boy. If you have 3.73 gears or taller and anything bigger than 31" of tire, you need to be thinking about a looser torque converter with that cam. It has almost 20 degrees more intake duration than the stock cam. That means the powerband shifts up in rpm. A lot. This leaves you sluggish at low rpm. Not a good situation when you're spending money to make useable power.

That is a hotrod cam, and does well in a light vehicle with a stick shift transmission where you can control the launch rpm variably, like in an f body or a corvette.

You're not going to use the upper rpm capabilities of that cam under the stock intake and fuel system. It will rev to 7000 rpm with the right springs and intake and a set of vortec heads. I like smaller cams. I suggest looking at the zz4 cam, which is 208/221 duration at 0.050". This makes more sense to me.

98k15

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is there any cams out there like a HT383 cam that gives you low end and mid range torque but has a bit bigger duration and a bit rougher idle? I dont mind replacing springs or even rockers but it would be cheaper and easier to not have to.

Horns

Tiff's Wedding Crasher
Reaction score
There is really no such thing as computer compatibility. Any cam will run with your computer, and no cam besides stock will run good on your computer without a tune regardless of if it's "computer compatible" or not.

98k15

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm not worried about that, I'm getting a whichever route I go.