98 vortec cam

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

98k15

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ive got a 98 k1500 with a 350 vortec, I've got an understanding of what duration and lsa and lift and everything is and means but I'm not sure on what cam to get. When i get the cam I'm going to get a kit and do springs too and do a tune all at the same time. I use my truck mainly as a daily to school but I use it to pull trailer sometimes and will use it all winter in mud to check traps. I'm looking for recommendations on cams and advice whether this is a good cam for my application or not.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/cca-k12-239-3/overview/make/chevrolet

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score

SwampHound

GMT400 Love Guru
Reaction score

98k15

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know the difference between roller and flat tappet lifters, i just didnt realize the vortec had rollers stock

98k15

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
How do swap to roller rockers like the ones included, do you have to pull the pressed in studs out of the heads? and will the lt4 hot cam give a rough/ lopey idle?

kennythewelder

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
If you call sumit, they can answer your questions better than I can. As for heads, Summit sells Vortec heads cheep, may be cheaper than doing a performance up grade to your heads. I have thought about a cam up grade on my truck for a long time, but haven't done anything yet in fear of the high milage I have, and the engine not holding up. As for as lopeing, computer cams tend to not lope near as much as a carb engine. Also performance heads will have help improve the effects of a cam up grade. A cam, and head swap that is tuned to work together is the best way to go. On a carbed 350, a port and polished head swap with a 292 cam will make some grate H.P ? An engine is just a big air compressor. The more air, fuel you take in, and get out of the engine, the more power it will make, but keep in mind, performance and gas mileage do not work together when you are talking H.P. the stock Vortec fuel system is good to around 400 H.P. or so I hear. A cam, head swap, with a good tune, a free flowing exhaust system, and cold air filter, should get you close to that. From my past research, a 262 cam, looks to be a good choice. Port and polished heads with screw in rocker stud bolts are a good option. And there are some limitations on how far the valves can open on stock Vortec heads. This can be cut down to alow for a lerger cam.

kennythewelder

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Your truck should run grate. Once your done, PM me and let me know how you like the results, and how much it all cost.