98 Tahoe, No side brake lights, no turn, and no eflashers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mrstang01

Reaction score
Moved the Tahoe yesterday, and noticed i had no rear lights. When I try to set the Eflasher, it doesn't flash anything. I just replaced the tail light boards 2 weeks ago, I suppose they could be an issue. Does anyone else have a suggestion before I start digging into it today?

Thanks,

Michael

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Does you 3rd brake light work when you apply the brakes? If it does, with the other lights not working, it probably is the multi function switch in the column (what the turn signal lever is part of). That's what happened to my Burb 2 years ago. My cousin replaced the switch, and that fixed it. Worst part of the job is getting into the column. But several threads on here about the job. Good luck!

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
3rd brake light is working
Then it's probably the multi function switch. That's exactly what my Burb did. Only brake light was the 3rd one and it's not so great. Particularly in Houston area traffic, when so many people are in little cars that whip in and out like they had good sense! IIRC the switch cost around $100 with tax.

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Then it's probably the multi function switch. That's exactly what my Burb did. Only brake light was the 3rd one and it's not so great. Particularly in Houston area traffic, when so many people are in little cars that whip in and out like they had good sense! IIRC the switch cost around $100 with tax.

What about the brake light switch? When I got my '00 K3500 NONE of the brake lights worked. At the end of the day, I had replaced brake light switch, cab light bulbs, multi-function switch and finally, a hacked (broken) wire and the big 30A fuse for the brakes. At some I recall the cab lights worked, but not the brake taillights. You'd have to look at the wiring diagrams. I seem to recall the brake taillights are powered through a relay?

mrstang01

Reaction score
In case it helps anyone else, it was the Multi-function switch. Had to take off the left side of the dash, both upper and lower, remove the steering wheel and airbag, unbolt the heat hose bracket at your leg. Most bolts were Torx, you have to pinch the two metal pins to take off the airbag through a tiny hole, and disconnect the harness damn near at the firewall, instead of just making you take off the trim, use 2 bolts to hold on the switch, and have it unplug from the harness there. On the plus side, you don't have to remove the ignition cylinder, which some videos showed. -3 GM, you suck.