'98 Busurban Storm Chase Vehicle Build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jjester6000

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Already putting this new transmission to work.
You must be registered for see images attach

It's not fun when you're friend blows his transmission and you have to come pick his ass up in -12F.
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
Also, though it wasn't happy about it, it actually did start in those temperatures.

jjester6000

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

The diesel gelled up in my dads Ferd today, so he borrowed the Burb today.
(That Rhymes)

And since my -11 coldstart with 20w50 somehow didn't kill O'l Yeller, I'm taking her to work today.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score

The diesel gelled up in my dads Ferd today, so he borrowed the Burb today.
(That Rhymes)

And since my -11 coldstart with 20w50 somehow didn't kill O'l Yeller, I'm taking her to work today.
That's called "GM gets moving "!

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Already putting this new transmission to work.

It's not fun when you're friend blows his transmission and you have to come pick his ass up in -12F.
Also, though it wasn't happy about it, it actually did start in those temperatures.

Did you install a larger cooler on your tranny? Based on what I hear/read, a larger aux. cooler is a must for towing. Maybe in those frigid temperatures the ambient temperature is the external cooler, LOL.

jjester6000

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Did you install a larger cooler on your tranny? Based on what I hear/read, a larger aux. cooler is a must for towing. Maybe in those frigid temperatures the ambient temperature is the external cooler, LOL.

It already had a nice aftermarket cooler when bought it. The fluid always looked great, even when I lost reverse, so that's probably because it is able to stay so cool.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score

Not true. My 1500 has a stock cooling system and tows fine with the AC cranked in the dead of summer. As long as the converter is locked it won't overheat. OP if you're planning to chase anything you should lower it and pump some power into the thing. I'd hate like hell to be running away from a twister and the truck be struggling to get out of its own way in the wind.

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Not true. My 1500 has a stock cooling system and tows fine with the AC cranked in the dead of summer. As long as the converter is locked it won't overheat. OP if you're planning to chase anything you should lower it and pump some power into the thing. I'd hate like hell to be running away from a twister and the truck be struggling to get out of its own way in the wind.

My 99 project Silverado V6 did not come with a transmission external cooler. I'm swapping the engine and the engine came with that stock cooler. I was going to run it but was a bit hesitant, especially since the guy that sold me the engine told it it told me the truck had a blown tranny. may have metallic particles in it? I was going to flush it....and run it

Then I saw that video, lol.

Honestly, that cooler looks about the same as my GMT 400 K3500. It's a different tranny, but still.

That's why I was asking. That Richard guy seems to know his stuff, so I'm going to follow his advice. Besides, those external coolers aren't that expensive. But I've never messed with aftermarket coolers.

Edit: LOL, that IS the wrong link. I posted it from my phone.

Here's what I was talking about.

Thanks @thegawd !

Last edited:

jjester6000

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

The most dangerous part of Storm Chasing, in most chasers opinion, is the commute. Anything can happen in the thousands of miles of driving.

I'm not looking to intercept the tornadoes, I'm just looking to observe and track them.

Anyways, I'm going to keep it mostly stock with the exception of some antennas, a cool paint job, and maybe even a marine radar (I have one, but I'm not properly licensed to use it).

thegawd

I'm Done!
Reaction score
what does Scott's turf builder have to do with anything? wrong link I assume....

Jester, do you post videos? I'd love to chase a tornado but with 6 kids my priorities have changed. I'd love to see some cool footage. one of my sons and I have watched a tonne of tornado videos, he wants to be a meteorologist, for an 11 year old he is extremely educated in weather patterns.

Al

thegawd

I'm Done!
Reaction score
no problem! friggen forced adds on mobile devices should be banned! I can easily see how it happened.... a simple copy n past but the add had intercepted the video waves and duplicated itself! damn sneaky add they almost have a life form.

I actually use Scott's turf builders lawn feed brown bag, I cant remember what it's called off the top of my head. I just happened to notice that it has the same or similar organic ingredients of a different soil amendment that I use in my no till organic gardening methods. since it's much cheaper and goes a long way but is not labeled organic anything like that. My family and I's method of living a simple life entirely revolves around food and being as self sufficient as possible.

which is also why these trucks are the best GM EVER built or will build and I'm sticking with them!

now I'm off the cut some firewood!

Cheers!

Al

Last edited: