97 K2500 454 7.4l Electric Fans?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SNOMAN

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is there anyone in here that has used electric fans in place of the mechanical fan? I am also wondering if you tow with your vehicle and ever have any high temps with them.

Christian Steffen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I tried a lincoln mark 8 fan in my truck (popular cheap fan). It worked fine for just cruising around around and ripping on it a bit. The first time I hooked to ~12k trailer I couldn't maintain temp at all for a short drive in 80 degree weather. So I'm back to mechanical. I'm sure there is a fan available that can handle the job, but i don't think it would be worth the cost IMO.

TheAutumnWind

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I tried a lincoln mark 8 fan in my truck (popular cheap fan). It worked fine for just cruising around around and ripping on it a bit. The first time I hooked to ~12k trailer I couldn't maintain temp at all for a short drive in 80 degree weather. So I'm back to mechanical. I'm sure there is a fan available that can handle the job, but i don't think it would be worth the cost IMO.
What was your shroud setup like?

SNOMAN

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ive read that the 2010 f150 raptor fans push 6000cfm. I may try those. I think the mark IV is only like 4500 or around that.

BNielsen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Flex-A-Lite 294 fan is advertised as 6000CFM, that's what I've been looking at as well as upgrading the 9" pusher fan up front to a 15" or 16" fan.

SNOMAN

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Flex-A-Lite 294 fan is advertised as 6000CFM, that's what I've been looking at as well as upgrading the 9" pusher fan up front to a 15" or 16" fan.

My radiator is has a slow leak. I'm going to get a aluminum radiator and try to go e fans. I'll look into the flex a lite fans.

Christian Steffen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
What was your shroud setup like?
I stuffed it inside the factory shroud. It seemed to flow decent, i could feel it at the front, just wasn't enough. Some electric fans from a 6.2 silverado might do the trick.

IMO the cost isn't worth the benefit. I maybe saw a 1 mpg improvement, probably less. Warm-up time might have been slightly better in the winter, nothing to write home about though.

Biggest benefit i could see if not having the HP draw at high rpm if you're racing or something.

Chutchcroft

Reaction score
I replaced my K2500 7.4 fan with the Flex-A-LITE kit. I tow Both a 23’ Boat and 14’ Dump trailer. Keeps it nice and cool. I would recommend a external transmission cooler to get the heat out of the radiator.