97 K2500 454 7.4l Electric Fans?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

alpinecrick

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yea I built a truck smart ass!

OE ran 200-210* as that’s all an integrated radiator cooler can manage on a Big Block! Putting heat in a radiator.

Heavy towing now runs 160-170*

I love you opinions but do you actually have or have ever built anything? Sounds like you got some learning left to do!

Are those coolant temps or trans temps?

7.4's with auto trans to my knowledge all came with the 5 3/4 x 11 stacked plate external trans cooler, the heavy duty option was the 8 x 11 stacked plate cooler. Stacked plate coolers are more efficient than tube and fin, or plate and fin.

alpinecrick

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Recently I gave my neighbor a 5 3/4 x 11 OE cooler from my stash for his restored 77 F-100 with a rebuilt 390 and C6 with a auxiliary cooler in the radiator tank. He even spent the money on a high dollar aluminum radiator. He was still having trouble keeping his coolant temps down (it doesn't help the motor is bored .60 over), installing the trans cooler lowered his coolant temps 15+ degrees.

93crewcab

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have 2 16 inch flex a lite fans and keeps the duramax cool till about 75 towing a 28 ft enclosed trailer. After 75 it will start to warm up.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Yea I built a truck smart ass!

OE ran 200-210* as that’s all an integrated radiator cooler can manage on a Big Block! Putting heat in a radiator.

Heavy towing now runs 160-170*

I love you opinions but do you actually have or have ever built anything? Sounds like you got some learning left to do!

Well you must suck at trans tuning because mine never exceed 200 climbing a hill with a trailer. There are much smarter ways to keep a trans alive than overcooling them year round. We're here if you're willing to listen.

Chutchcroft

Reaction score
If you are going to run a Big Block and a built tranny. Get the heat out of the radiator and put the biggest cooler you can fit. It will serve you the longest. Anyone telling you to keep heat in simply is ill informed. The Flex A Lite fans for the GMT400 work and adding a 40A relay instead of included control board is full proof. I can back this up with a K2500 that regularly comes across the scale at 25K with a flatbed or dump attached.

Also, GEV V blocks generate tremendous heat at main bearing caps 3 and 4. Upgrading the oil pressure relief valves to the higher pressure poppets will cool and filter more oil with less bypass. The heat is at the limit for dyno oil so running synthetic will reduce oil degradation. HEAT KILLS!

Last edited:

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
If you are going to run a Big Block and a built tranny. Get the heat out of the radiator and put the biggest cooler you can fit. It will serve you the longest. Anyone telling you to keep heat in simply is ill informed. The Flex A Lite fans for the GMT400 work and adding a 40A relay instead of included control board is full proof. I can back this up with a K2500 that regularly comes across the scale at 25K with a flatbed or dump attached.

Without data your claims are worthless. Take this dude's advice with a grain of salt OP. He probably thinks 200+ degree engine oil is bad too.

BNielsen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

Also, GEV V blocks generate tremendous heat at main bearing caps 3 and 4. Upgrading the oil pressure relief valves to the higher pressure poppets will cool and filter more oil with less bypass. The heat is at the limit for dyno oil so running synthetic will reduce oil degradation. HEAT KILLS!

I'm interested in seeing some pictures of this set up.