96 k2500 lift

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nyvenom30

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
How big of tires are you planning on running with 6-7" of suspension lift and 3" of body lift? That poor 6.5td is going to be smoking!

Not sure if anyone else with a procomp lift has had the issue, might be worth a dedicated thread to get input.
I did install a brand new blue top steering box pre-tuned and with the needle bearing mod to the cap to keep everything true under load.

Sent from my moto e5 supra using Tapatalk
why is it gonna be smoking? she runs at 190 all day. ive done a bunch of mods to the cooling system on this truck. 96.5 or later acdelco water, hayden fan clutch, dmax fan blade. im also running a modded fuel system with the ftb upgrade. id like to put a different turbo but the cummins 6tb is after the body work and lift. u need to or alteast makes it easier to fit the the 6tb in the truck if u do the body lift. the oil pan on the motor is stupid!!!

nyvenom30

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was dreading it because i never really messed with suspension before but i done it all myself and I enjoyed it and wouldn’t be scared to do it again. You may already know but I’m gonna give you some tips on it, for upper control arms i would just buy the whole arm, I didn’t and wasted a ton of time getting bew bushings in. For the bottom arms drill a whole bunch of holes in the bushings and get a metal rod or something and knock them out from the center after holes are drilled. It takes some persuasion but it worked and as for getting them back in I don’t have a press or know anybody with one so i paid a shop $40 i did press the ball joints In myself though with a kit from harbor freight.
im gonna buy the harborfreight 20 ton press i think that should do it.

ZRoe

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
why is it gonna be smoking? she runs at 190 all day. ive done a bunch of mods to the cooling system on this truck. 96.5 or later acdelco water, hayden fan clutch, dmax fan blade. im also running a modded fuel system with the ftb upgrade. id like to put a different turbo but the cummins 6tb is after the body work and lift. u need to or alteast makes it easier to fit the the 6tb in the truck if u do the body lift. the oil pan on the motor is stupid!!!
I just meant it will be working hard unless you gear it properly. I was trying to insinuate that it would be making black smoke running hard not that it would be hot.
I am only up about 4" with my kit and had no issues with 35 x 12.5 but I downsized to 285/75r17 AT tires for better on road and winter performance

Last edited:

nyvenom30

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just meant it will be working hard unless you hear it properly. I was trying to insinuate that it would be making black smoke running hard not that it would be hot.
I am only up about 4" with my kit and had no issues with 35 x 12.5 but I downsized to 285/75r17 AT tires for better on road and winter performance
i was planning to run 36x16 mt baja mtz p3. nitto grapplers, theres a bunch to choose from.
also i carry about a 1k lbs of tools with everywhere this truck runs super smooth. it has the 4l80e tranny shifts great. the motor was rebuilt in 2003 under factory warranty. it has about 135k on it. the truck has 282k. but most of the truck is new. lol. i need to start working on the drivers seat. lol. it looks like hell.

Last edited:

ZRoe

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
i was planning to run 36x16 mt baja mtz p3. nitto grapplers, theres a bunch to choose from.
also i carry about a 1k lbs of tools with everywhere this truck runs super smooth. it has the 4l80e tranny shifts great. the motor was rebuilt in 2003 under factory warranty. it has about 135k on it. the truck has 282k. but most of the truck is new. lol. i need to start working on the drivers seat. lol. it looks like hell.
What tire size are you running now? I've seen some numbers that suggest just going from 265s to 285s results in a 15%-20% loss in torque. Re-gearing to a higher ratio will be necessary to maintain performance and cruising rpm. Plus I think the diesel trucks and burbans came with lower ratios from the factory but I could be wrong.
My truck is a factory 4.10:1 with a 454 so it actually doesn't mind the larger tires, but I know the guys with 3.73:1 and the 454 struggle with bigger tires.

b454rat

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I ran a K3500 with a TBI 454/400 with 40" boggers ad 3.73s. Going around a corner would lite the tires up But a good rule of thumb for tire size/gear ratio, take the size of tire your going with, divide by current tire size, multiply by current gear ratio. But always round up. If future tire size is 35s, current is 31s, and ratio is 3.73s, comes out to 4.21 or something. But because of the extra weight and rotating mass of larger tires, 4.56s would be the best bet. Big blocks are lil different since they have more torque than a small block. My old man had a 98 with 454/4l80, and with 35s and 3.73 gears, it pulled em great.

nyvenom30

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
What tire size are you running now? I've seen some numbers that suggest just going from 265s to 285s results in a 15%-20% loss in torque. Re-gearing to a higher ratio will be necessary to maintain performance and cruising rpm. Plus I think the diesel trucks and burbans came with lower ratios from the factory but I could be wrong.
My truck is a factory 4.10:1 with a 454 so it actually doesn't mind the larger tires, but I know the guys with 3.73:1 and the 454 struggle with bigger tires.

I also have 4.10 in the rear.
so i bought another truck to take parts off of and i was gonna upload an image on my phone but the site wont let me. file is to large. ill upload them later but yea the 99 suburban 1500 4wd models have smaller upper control arms, so the frame is different on the 1500 to 2500 series if anyone wanted or didnt know. the mounting location on the 2500 series are about 3" wider apart. so with that being said if u have a 1500 series the dual shock hoops will from fabtech will fit and work and other that say 1500 series. but will not work on the 2500 series. i have a feels that im gonna end up maing my own because of this. hard to tell what lift kit is in this thing. no labels or anything on it looks like a 6". gonna try to uplaod again later.

back to my truck. i have the superlift kit coming tomorrow and a bunch of other **** today. sdtruckandspring is the worst. they again after weeks, tell me they cant get my order its discontinued.

Last edited:

nyvenom30

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
so thinking about it. u could use the fabtech dual shock hoop kit if u welded a steel strip along the top of the control and mounts. so u can relocate the holes. and the only thing become the lower part of the mount that goes to the upper control arm. will is fit the bolt pattern on the 2500 series are. time to go take measurements. but i bet with a bit of fab work i can get this done. fyi the pro comp dual hoop kit for the 1500 series will never work on the 2500 series. the shock hoop its self will not fit.

nyvenom30

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
so i just got an email from superlift saying they discontinued the k274 lift kit that was literally delivered today. im confused as hell how this works but i got the kit. if u need on ejust call jegs.