96 K1500 Low Oil Pressure

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sam Cooper

Reaction score
This may sound extreme, but not as much as a full rebuild. Usually most of the pressure loss is due to wear of the thrust surfaces of the rear main bearing. On multiple occasions I have resolved low oil pressure by dropping the oil pan, replace the rear main bearing and oil pump. This can easily add 100K miles to the life of your engine. It will also end oil pan seepage. I always use a clevite type bearing and Mellings 77 HV pump. Both of my big blocks now have 35 lbs at hot idle.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I gained 10 PSI across the entire range by changing my flat tappet cam and lifters. Didn't touch the cam bearings either. Should help with a roller cam too.

SCPilot1161

Reaction score
Inspect and mic the cam bearings 1st to see how much clearance you have. You may need to replace them too :33:
It’s very possible. I am pretty sure the low oil pressure is from some clearance issue. Whether it’s cam bearings or main bearings I have no idea. I do have slight oil seepage so it may be the thrust bearing as Sam Cooper stated above.

countryboy17

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
How can I fix low oil pressure at hot idle it’s about 20psi maybe 15psi
Any easy repairs to try to increase oil pressure

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How can I fix low oil pressure at hot idle it’s about 20psi maybe 15psi
Any easy repairs to try to increase oil pressure
Nothing really wrong with 15--20 psi at hot idle. My truck has 12--15 at hot idle. I'm not thrilled with that, but it's not at all out-of-line.

Make sure the oil filter isn't plugged; and that the oil isn't fuel-contaminated. Verify that the idle speed isn't too low.

alpinecrick

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
This may sound extreme, but not as much as a full rebuild. Usually most of the pressure loss is due to wear of the thrust surfaces of the rear main bearing. On multiple occasions I have resolved low oil pressure by dropping the oil pan, replace the rear main bearing and oil pump. This can easily add 100K miles to the life of your engine. It will also end oil pan seepage. I always use a clevite type bearing and Mellings 77 HV pump. Both of my big blocks now have 35 lbs at hot idle.

We’re you able to remove the old bearing and install the new one without loosening the rest of the caps on the crank?

SCPilot1161

Reaction score
Were you able to do all of this with the motor still in the vehicle?