96 K1500 Low Oil Pressure

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SCPilot1161

Reaction score
If in California nope. Oh and btw I dont think the motor worth 5400. Unless 1200 of that is the pallet lol. However I cant speak for the durability. I'm gonna barely be installing it on monday if weather permits

Not in California, thank goodness haha. Where did you find the 383 cheaper than $5200? Or have you had it a while? I also have the vortec motor which seems to be limiting my options.

SCPilot1161

Reaction score
What brand and weight of oil,, and what oil filter, did they install?

The first thing I would do is change to a known oil and filter.

Not sure on brand of either. Will at least check the filter brand tomorrow morning. Shop said they put 5W30 full synthetic after changing the oil pan gasket. I think I will try switching to 10W30 conventional and see if that helps. If it’s a Fram filter it will be changed as well.

Reaction score
Pick up could be loose or damaged, we sometimes take off pick up to make clearance to remove pan, what psi at 1500rpm ? If its 40 its ok to drive 8 psi is probably still in spec but not what I would want to see 20 hot idle I believe is where mines at.

alpinecrick

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You mentioned the engine has 160k, does this mean it is not the original motor?

If it is a generic crate motor 160k is probably a fair number of miles for it.

I have messed around with different weights/types of oils on my 5.0/5.7 vans (which leak oil in various places), and have found high mileage conventional or semi-synthetic 5-30 provide the most consistent oil pressure.

Both vans have 210k-260k on the motors, and Valvoline high mileage 5-30 semi synthetic leak the least and provide the most consistent pressure with cold starts, and idle to cruising speeds. A friend who services US Forest Service vehicles in my neck of the woods first recommended the Valvoline to me.

I would change the oil and filter. If you do, get back with us and let us know how it worked.

SUBURBAN5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Not in California, thank goodness haha. Where did you find the 383 cheaper than $5200? Or have you had it a while? I also have the vortec motor which seems to be limiting my options.

I got mine for $5323.07 from karl custom.com . It comes with an ac delco filter and I believe manual says 10-40. Heres some picks of what to expect. Btw took it a while to come in.

You must be registered for see images attach

dave s

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I would change oil and filter to what you used previously. Who knows for sure what they really put in it. So many vehicles use 5-20 these days they may have mistakenly dumped something like that in.

SCPilot1161

Reaction score
Ok so I was able to change the oil and filter this morning. Went with Mobil 10W40 and an AC Delco filter. Seemed to help a little. Pressure at hot idle seemed to be around 12-15 and at 1500 RPM seemed to be around 32-33. These were coming from the stock gauge in the truck so who knows how accurate they really are. Still plan on verifying with a mechanical gauge next week.

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ok so I was able to change the oil and filter this morning. Went with Mobil 10W40 and an AC Delco filter. Seemed to help a little. Pressure at hot idle seemed to be around 12-15 and at 1500 RPM seemed to be around 32-33. These were coming from the stock gauge in the truck so who knows how accurate they really are. Still plan on verifying with a mechanical gauge next week.

Those stock guages are as accurate as a "low and high." Similar what Ford did on their trucks.

"20" on the guage does not equal to "20 psi," in my experience. The good news is that they do seem to read lower than actual, so you should be ok.

Let us know what you find.

Dariusz Salomon

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Those stock guages are as accurate as a "low and high." Similar what Ford did on their trucks.

"20" on the guage does not equal to "20 psi," in my experience. The good news is that they do seem to read lower than actual, so you should be ok.

Let us know what you find.
I was about to say-mine is not consistent at all-sometimes it shows above the middle,at other times below. I watched the video on yountube once that a guy disconected it or something(that was suppose to not work)and it was still showing pressure so yeah...