96 K1500 Door Alignment

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I use a 3/8" extension latched into the latch and a crowbar to tweak the door up or down. If it is too tight at the top , find a 2x4 and place it between the top of the door and the cab, then gently push the door at the latch area. This will tweak the door outward. If it needs to go inward just reverse the process (2x4 in latch area, push on the top of the door). This is how I used the doors off of a 2000 OBS 4x4 and put them on our 89 2wd. Also make sure you cab mounts are solid, if not it can tweak the cab and bind doors as well.

DRAGGIN95

Warranty Killer!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I use a 3/8" extension latched into the latch and a crowbar to tweak the door up or down. If it is too tight at the top , find a 2x4 and place it between the top of the door and the cab, then gently push the door at the latch area. This will tweak the door outward. If it needs to go inward just reverse the process (2x4 in latch area, push on the top of the door). This is how I used the doors off of a 2000 OBS 4x4 and put them on our 89 2wd. Also make sure you cab mounts are solid, if not it can tweak the cab and bind doors as well.
Those are some great tip's!

Hezsus

Mr. Truck
Reaction score
I tried the floor jack, was a little nervous though, how much can i lift on the door before I break something? like tires in the air? or just slightly?

WPsharpshooter

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hell no, Dont jack that thing up til the tires come off the ground... Which you would prolly break the door first anyways... Jack it up a lil at a time, let it down an check it and continue til its what you want it, but keep in mind you just cant jack it up to high... (does that even make any sense? lol)

JollyGreen

Metalworking Madman
Reaction score
That striker will adjust at least an 1/8" up/down and side to side

Sent from Jolly Green's Droid

DRAGGIN95

Warranty Killer!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Yeah you want to use a jack just a little, if the truck is lifting off of the ground you are doing it way too much!

4thesporty

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Finally got some photos of my truck to show you what I'm working with. Don't mind the goo left from the ventshades I took off recently. :)

Door shut "too tight"

You must be registered for see images attach

Door misalignment. This is actually much better than it was before I got the jack under it. Should I go a little bit more?

Misalignment causing this to my brand new striker, if you can make out the shiny silver parts where it is rubbing.

Could this be a problem too?

JollyGreen

Metalworking Madman
Reaction score
My guess is that the latch in the door is original and most likely needs to be replaced. If it's moved that could be part of the problem (not likely). The gaps up and down dont' look too bad. Did you try and move the striker?