96 K1500 Door Alignment

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
I have installed new pins and bushings in both doors. My question is can you adjust these doors for better alignment? I dont see anyway to adjust them?

TruckinAin4Sissies

L.E.D. Whisperer
Reaction score
As long as you out the bushings in the SAME EXACT SPOT you took them out of-- it should be Damn near perfect.

Does it hit the striker?

-Truckin'-

4thesporty

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I came on here to ask this exact same question.

I also just replaced the pins and bushings as well as the striker bolt. My doors close nice, but when shut they both seem to be shut too tight, if that makes sense. I have a crew cab and the front of the rear doors stick out further than the back of the front doors. It's like I need to move the striker bolt outboard some, but there is no adjustment there and I can't seem to move the striker in the door any either.

I really thought the new parts would clean this up some.

I wil get some pics of mine up in the morning.

To the OP, don't mean to hijack, just didn't wan't to start a new thread on the same subject. Hopefully we can both get this figured out.

DRAGGIN95

Warranty Killer!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Over time a lot of these door's sag and even pin replacement won't fix it, when that is the case there are a couple of easy option's one is to use this tool, I own one they are great, it goes between the latch and striker and allow's you to rebend the door back upward, ot you can also use a floor jack with a soft pad against the bottom of the door and use it to bend the door back upward. http://www.eastwood.com/door-alignment-tool-for-car-and-truck.html

Reaction score
Thanks for all the input, I did not replace the striker yet. It seems like the door is closing too tight. When u pull the handle to open, it seems like it pops a little telling me that its in a bind.

Mik3

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
When the door sags, it lays on the striker for alignment, it shouldn't do that. All weight should be supported by the hinge pins. If you let it rest on the striker or let it use the striker to align, it will eventually wear the striker really bad and possibly crack the metal around the striker. When I first got my truck it had like 4 cracks all around the striker on the sheet metal around it because they didn't replace the hinge pins and align the door correctly.

4thesporty

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Loggerhead and I seem to have the exact same issue.

My door does "pop" when I open it and my brand new striker has a nice shiny spot where the striker plate is hitting it.

I did the floor jack thing yesterday and it did seem to improve things a little. I am hesitant to jack it up and further though. What is the worst that could happen. I am now within less than a half an inch of my body lines matching up.

Then there is still the problem of the top part being "shut too tight." How do you go about fixing this, and how does this happen?

TruckinAin4Sissies

L.E.D. Whisperer
Reaction score
When you're using a Jack be sure that the pressure (from the jack) is evenly displaced on the outter-most point, rather than in one spot.
It could damage the door.

-Truckin'-

4thesporty

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
thanks, I used a 2 ft long 2x6 on the jack and jacked near the rear of the door with it just barely open.

correct procedure?