96 GMC K2500 Suburban Restoration (with a couple of mods)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

South VA

K2500 454 Long Roof
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The onl

The only fluid out there should be brake fluid… unless the grease in the ball joint or hub is separating and releasing oil.
Good to know. Putting it up on jackstands and pulling the wheel should tell the tale. Today would be a good day to do it, but the ground is so soft I’m sure it would leave massive ruts getting it into the shop.

South VA

K2500 454 Long Roof
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Near-epic rain starting in the wee hours today, and really heavy mid morning.

In anticipation we spent a lightly drizzly yesterday afternoon putting up a couple of sections of temporary wire fencing so that the goats, at least the does, can have better access to winter pasture. They’ve chewed theirs down pretty well, so it’s time. I’m glad we did it yesterday because it would be pretty messy today.

Not impossible, if one wore Muck boots and was otherwise dressed for it. Which would be the sensible thing to do, even if one were to just go outside today.

But if that fence was in fact needed today, then I suppose we’d just put it up. Maybe bitching a little more in the process, but it would get done. My GF is made of stern stuff; probably sterner than mine. And particularly so when it comes to her goats. But I ramble.

There’s no way the Subdivision is going into the garage today; and maybe no way a week from now. The ground’s still soaked from last week’s rain.

The clay in the soil here tends to hold on to water and is therefore treacherous to drive on when it’s wet. especially if you’re trying to minimize damage to, well, the back yard.

Whatever. I called Jim at the shop and told him what I found; then texted him two pictures of the fluid on the tire, one of which was posted above.

He said what @termite said above: it’s probably brake fluid from a hose, fitting, or the caliper. He suggested checking the reservoir, which turned out to be down more than a little from where it was a few weeks ago:

You must be registered for see images attach

After what seems like months of its being unavailable due to various issues, now I need the beast sooner than later. There’s not enough time for it to sit for more than a couple of days. It’s been busy hauling construction tools to the house renovation that had been dragging along, but which has shown recent signs of progress. Plus hauling those items of furniture to NC. Seems like it’s been earning its keep.

But Jim says it’s not really safe to drive at all, and he explained why. It involved the high potential for one or both front brakes to fail completely with very short notice. Which made sense to me.

So tomorrow I’ll have it towed to Jim’s, thanks to AAA.

Again with the tow truck.

Good thing I washed it.

South VA

K2500 454 Long Roof
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wonder just how many tow miles I’ve racked up with this beast over the past year of ownership. I’m thinking more than a few. Maybe there’s some sort of frequent flyer program for towing…

I kid. :Big Laugh:

Having it towed was truly the only viable choice. I’m just glad to have towing insurance.

And since it was clean, it looked great, even on the tow truck! :33:

You must be registered for see images attach

Of course the irony of actually having a concrete floor to work on, with a roof overhead, in my back yard - but not being able to use it due to weather - hasn’t escaped me.

No matter. It’s just more motivation to get the garage apron done and put down some rock in the driveway to achieve true all-weather access. Once it dries out.

But that’s for that other thread.

When I called Tuesday morning, Jim said that he’d order the parts he might need, in advance, to avoid a delay during the holiday week. Whatever he doesn’t need for mine he’ll put on the shelf, and eventually use on another GMT400. The level of service at Jim’s shop is definitely a cut above, and his prices are reasonable. So glad I found that shop.

So with luck I’ll have it back, with functioning brakes, this afternoon.

That timing would work out well, as it’s scheduled to see Trent at his transmission shop on Tuesday morning for a final check and test drive. Based on my experience of the past hundreds of miles, I think the transmission is just fine; but he offered, and it’s included with the rebuild service.

As a bonus, Costco, which is 60 miles from the farm, happens to be just down the road from the transmission shop. At a minimum, I’ll stop there afterwards and fill up with cheap gas. Maybe go inside to see what else I might need; hopefully not too much.

In any case, once this brake work is done, the Subdivision will be that much closer to being sorted. Overall, I’m pleased. It’s getting done.

And then I’ll be able to load it up with construction tools so that it can go back to work, earning its keep.

South VA

K2500 454 Long Roof
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It was ready this afternoon, and the problem turned out to be a bad caliper bleeder screw.

When they (Jim’s guys) bled the system a short while back, some corrosion apparently got loose and lodged in the opening, nicking the nose of the bleeder screw and creating a leak.

After checking both front calipers, they cleaned out the valve seat, replaced the bleeder screw, and bled the system again.

I suppose there wasn’t really a risk of catastrophic brake failure after all. However, given the information that I gave Jim over the phone, he made what I think was the right call: don‘t drive it.

In the end it came to $20.27, which covered the screw, brake fluid, and brake cleaner. No labor was charged.

Looks like we’re back in business.

GrimsterGMC

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It was ready this afternoon, and the problem turned out to be a bad caliper bleeder screw.

When they (Jim’s guys) bled the system a short while back, some corrosion apparently got loose and lodged in the opening, nicking the nose of the bleeder screw and creating a leak.

After checking both front calipers, they cleaned out the valve seat, replaced the bleeder screw, and bled the system again.

I suppose there wasn’t really a risk of catastrophic brake failure after all. However, given the information that I gave Jim over the phone, he made what I think was the right call: don‘t drive it.

In the end it came to $20.27, which covered the screw, brake fluid, and brake cleaner. No labor was charged.

The brake system really doesn't hold that much fluid so if the bleeder was leaking fluid every time you used the brakes it wouldn't take long to drain the reservoir. That can certainly lead to a catastrophic braking disaster.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score

Good to hear it was something simple; hopefully my truck will be that way too, tomorrow when I get to "play" with it again. It was 38° this morning, I want to go to work in something with heat!

South VA

K2500 454 Long Roof
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The brake system really doesn't hold that much fluid so if the bleeder was leaking fluid every time you used the brakes it wouldn't take long to drain the reservoir. That can certainly lead to a catastrophic braking disaster.
You’re right, of course. I was thinking of a sudden and complete failure of a leaking seal. But the loss of fluid from the leaky bleeder could lead to the same result.

I stand corrected. Thank you.

Last edited:

South VA

K2500 454 Long Roof
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good to hear it was something simple; hopefully my truck will be that way too, tomorrow when I get to "play" with it again. It was 38° this morning, I want to go to work in something with heat!
Me too. It easily could have been a lot more expensive.

Here’s hoping that yours turns out to be a simple fix!