GCWR -Suburban

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jhornsby3

Reaction score
Both of my trailers are OR registered as "excessive weight" vehicles. Any vehicle registered in this state now has a limit of 8200#. Anything over that it goes to commercial registration. So when I bought my 3500 and paid the title and registration, I paid what was already on it. Now. The way that this state now looks at it, any combined weight over 8200# without commercial plates, is overweight. And is bound to roll over the nearest coop. So, do I worry about it every time I hook up a trailer, you bet. Has it stopped me? Nope. If they want to stop me, they better stand out on the highway and stop every vehicle pulling an RV to the coast on Friday evenings and again on Sunday evenings.

I have my weights written on my windshield, and don't remember the specifics. But my 3500 is good for 16,000# tow weight. My rear axle is around 5200# with the trailer axles at 13,000# and my combined around 22,000# with our boat. My neighbor, a state trooper, told me as long as I use all of the permitted safety equipment and look legal, don't sweat it. To stay on the routes laid out in the permit and "appear" legal. Otherwise, my CDL A will be pulled and go to jail, do not pass go, do not collect $200.

Now for my 10k flatbed with the highway plates, not much I can do but to pull and hope for the best.

Just make sure your within the limits of the vehicle. Service the brakes yearly. And keep it slow and in control on a down hill. Never brake on a corner and stab the brakes to slow and don't ride them.

Oh and why not get the truck plates in Oregon? I refuse to pay "commercial" for a personal vehicle. And why go from $130 every two years to $1500 every year, just to satisfy the greed of this state.

We bought the boat, then bought the tow vehicle second. The way it should be done.

Attachments

• 11-Aug-2023 (1).JPG
    11-Aug-2023 (1).JPG
    418.8 KB · Views: 14
  • 11-Aug-2023 (4).JPG
    11-Aug-2023 (4).JPG
    418.5 KB · Views: 14
  • 122429495_10219043528661708_7251044737554091096_n.jpg
    122429495_10219043528661708_7251044737554091096_n.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 14

scottydl

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My 'burb might pull 6k lbs but no way in hell it would stop it.
My little landscaping trailer full of firewood or camping supplies is enough to fade the brakes coming down the Sierras.

Kudos to you for recognizing this! 1500's were never really designed for heavy towing, but that doesn't stop many people from doing it anyway. I shake my head everytime I see some 1/2 ton truck with its rear end squatting almost to the ground, pulling some trailer that's clearly WAY beyond the truck's limits. Like you said, I just hope they never have to try and stop or maneuver quickly in an emergency situation.

1952Chevy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
This reflects what I have found in my searches as well. I have crossed the scale at the dump at 20k lbs(so 3k over GCWR) though. Oops! Loaded a dump trailer with dirt at night. It rained all night, and was extremely heavy. After that load I didn't load nearly as much for the remaining runs I made. She handled it without issue though.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My 'burb might pull 6k lbs but no way in hell it would stop it.
My little landscaping trailer full of firewood or camping supplies is enough to fade the brakes coming down the Sierras.
Over 3,000 or 3,500 lbs, forget which trailer brakes are required. My 99 Tahoe had no problem stopping a travel trailer or flat deck car hauler. Ditto for the Express van.

You also should not be on the brakes coming down a grade, slow down before you hit the downgrade a bit and downshift as necessary. I never found a grade that the 350 could not control ~12,000+ lbs GCVW on by downshifting and engine braking.

tinfoil_hat

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Kudos to you for recognizing this! 1500's were never really designed for heavy towing, but that doesn't stop many people from doing it anyway. I shake my head everytime I see some 1/2 ton truck with its rear end squatting almost to the ground, pulling some trailer that's clearly WAY beyond the truck's limits. Like you said, I just hope they never have to try and stop or maneuver quickly in an emergency situation.
The PO lives around the corner from me so I know he towed a decent sized trailer with it. He also kept all his service records. Looks like the rear axle was rebuilt twice, leafs replaced, trans rebuilt within 150k. the truck does have a trailer brake controller.
Over 3,000 or 3,500 lbs, forget which trailer brakes are required. My 99 Tahoe had no problem stopping a travel trailer or flat deck car hauler. Ditto for the Express van.

You also should not be on the brakes coming down a grade, slow down before you hit the downgrade a bit and downshift as necessary. I never found a grade that the 350 could not control ~12,000+ lbs GCVW on by downshifting and engine braking.
Oh, yes. Downshifting is essential. I tend to baby the truck so I will downshift well ahead of the danger.

GM Guy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
DOT doesnt pay attention to "tow ratings" (aka GCWR) because acceleration is a factor in their ratings, Identical chassis, brake system, and axle ratio will have different ratings because a certain engine option will accelerate faster. you cant tell me a 454 is somehow safer with 2K Lbs more than a 350 in a otherwise identically equipped vehicle.

DOT is concerned about the ratings of: tires, wheels, axles, and vehicle, and if a semi that might actually max out a rating, GCW. but not GCWR. reason being, semis dont have a GCWR.

So just because GM assigns a GCWR doesnt mean the DOT cares. They are just concerned with all the other ratings.

Lawyers on the other hand, probably do care about GCWR, especially when it was exceeded and there happened to be an accident.