GCWR -Suburban

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mehcs

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi All,
For those digging to find out what their burbs can tow, I found a sales brochure for 99 suburban which states the GCWR for every configuration. I found this helpful since the towing data isn't quite clear and it obviously dependent on how much weight is in your rig and your TT or whatever you're towing.

Again this is from a 99 brochure but I think it would be applicable back to 96 as well. This was helpful for me as a proud new owner of a 96 GMC k2500 burb and a 30' camper that is thankfully under the limits.

You must be registered for see images attach

Link to download brochure:

South VA

K2500 454 Long Roof
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi All,
For those digging to find out what their burbs can tow, I found a sales brochure for 99 suburban which states the GCWR for every configuration. I found this helpful since the towing data isn't quite clear and it obviously dependent on how much weight is in your rig and your TT or whatever you're towing.

Again this is from a 99 brochure but I think it would be applicable back to 96 as well. This was helpful for me as a proud new owner of a 96 GMC k2500 burb and a 30' camper that is thankfully under the limits.

You must be registered for see images attach

Link to download brochure:
Great! Let’s see some pics of that beast and of the camper, please!

618 Syndicate

You won't...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
While interesting, for legal purposes the brochure and glovebox sticker are irrelevant. The only thing that matters to law enforcement is the tag on the door jamb, and your plate classification. The legality of weight, width, length, and height are all determined by those. The legality of your operating said combination is determined by your license.
Typically only applied to commercial hauling, but I've seen them hammer private owners as well.

Keeper

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
While interesting, for legal purposes the brochure and glovebox sticker are irrelevant. The only thing that matters to law enforcement is the tag on the door jamb, and your plate classification. The legality of weight, width, length, and height are all determined by those. The legality of your operating said combination is determined by your license.
Typically only applied to commercial hauling, but I've seen them hammer private owners as well.
On that note, my K3500 never had a door jamb sticker. Is that normal? Could it be hidden/located elsewhere that I haven't ever seen it? Glovebox only has RPO sticker and a Truck Camper Info sticker

99 K3500 CCSB DRW

mehcs

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
How does the tag on door jam classify the tow capacity? All mine reads is the GVWR for the truck which is 8600 lbs.

SUBURBAN5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
How does the tag on door jam classify the tow capacity? All mine reads is the GVWR for the truck which is 8600 lbs.
I may be dead wrong. But I think it's because the burb cannot exceed 8600ibs total. Long as your within your good DOT can't cry about it. But say your rated for 8600ibs and your pulling 15000ibs total. Then technically they can ticket you or whatever.

mehcs

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I may be dead wrong. But I think it's because the burb cannot exceed 8600ibs total. Long as your within your good DOT can't cry about it. But say your rated for 8600ibs and your pulling 15000ibs total. Then technically they can ticket you or whatever.
See that's why this topic is a bit confusing. My understanding is the GVWR (Gross Vehicle Weight Rating) equates to the maximum the truck itself can way including cargo. So my truck's curb weight is 5551 lbs which gives me a payload of 3049lbs. What needs to be considered in payload again anything in the truck the hitch and the tongue weight of the trailer. Outside of that, nothing in regards to towing or pulling.

Thats why i liked that brochure becuase the GCWR is the combined weight of the truck and trailer. So I calcuted the truck capacity including peeps,dogs, stuff, hitch and tongue weight. Then the GVWR of the travel tralier (fully loaded). My understanding is if my calculation are under the 15Klbs, then I should be safe.

Now someone can tell me otherwise.