GCWR -Suburban

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

618 Syndicate

You won't...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
On that note, my K3500 never had a door jamb sticker. Is that normal? Could it be hidden/located elsewhere that I haven't ever seen it? Glovebox only has RPO sticker and a Truck Camper Info sticker

99 K3500 CCSB DRW
Anything's possible, they're usually on the door or the jamb. It's not gonna be an issue unless you're hauling commercial or you run across a DOT cop in a bad mood.

SUBURBAN5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
See that's why this topic is a bit confusing. My understanding is the GVWR (Gross Vehicle Weight Rating) equates to the maximum the truck itself can way including cargo. So my truck's curb weight is 5551 lbs which gives me a payload of 3049lbs. What needs to be considered in payload again anything in the truck the hitch and the tongue weight of the trailer. Outside of that, nothing in regards to towing or pulling.

Thats why i liked that brochure becuase the GCWR is the combined weight of the truck and trailer. So I calcuted the truck capacity including peeps,dogs, stuff, hitch and tongue weight. Then the GVWR of the travel tralier (fully loaded). My understanding is if my calculation are under the 15Klbs, then I should be safe.

Now someone can tell me otherwise.
I agree. The new trucks gm sends off has the math already done and stuck on the door jam. Older gm trucks like ours required math. That being said the brochure and info gm release I feel should hold some weight, even though it's in a brochure.. So that being said your safe 15k pounds total. But keep the info handy in the glove department or something. It's useful and allows you to use your truck safely. Thanks for posting

termite

Definitely NOT Awesome
Reaction score
I may be dead wrong. But I think it's because the burb cannot exceed 8600ibs total. Long as your within your good DOT can't cry about it. But say your rated for 8600ibs and your pulling 15000ibs total. Then technically they can ticket you or whatever.
Its my understanding that GVWR is max gross weight for the vehicle per manufacturer. GCWR is the max gross for vehicle and trailer combined. At least that was how it was spelled out when I got my CDL in 2008.

SUBURBAN5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Its my understanding that GVWR is max gross weight for the vehicle per manufacturer. GCWR is the max gross for vehicle and trailer combined. At least that was how it was spelled out when I got my CDL in 2008.
Yes. I agree with this. Which means in the op scenario he can pull 6400ibs and be safe since 8600 + 6400 is 15000ibs?

618 Syndicate

You won't...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How does the tag on door jam classify the tow capacity? All mine reads is the GVWR for the truck which is 8600 lbs.
Should have more information than that. My 400 isn't handy right now, but it should have look similar to this:
You must be registered for see images attach

mehcs

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Should have more information than that. My 400 isn't handy right now, but it should have look similar to this:
Yes, mine reads similar but my point is that the info only pertains to the truck and its payloads. Nothing about how much it can tow.

618 Syndicate

You won't...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
See that's why this topic is a bit confusing. My understanding is the GVWR (Gross Vehicle Weight Rating) equates to the maximum the truck itself can way including cargo. So my truck's curb weight is 5551 lbs which gives me a payload of 3049lbs. What needs to be considered in payload again anything in the truck the hitch and the tongue weight of the trailer. Outside of that, nothing in regards to towing or pulling.

Thats why i liked that brochure becuase the GCWR is the combined weight of the truck and trailer. So I calcuted the truck capacity including peeps,dogs, stuff, hitch and tongue weight. Then the GVWR of the travel tralier (fully loaded). My understanding is if my calculation are under the 15Klbs, then I should be safe.

Now someone can tell me otherwise.
Your understanding is mostly correct, couple of things to point out though:
Vehicle cannot exceed GVWR. Unless you scale the truck (empty) there's no way to know curb weight, or calculate payload.
Also important is GAWR, which is axle weight rating. When towing, if the trailer isn't loaded evenly (i.e. whatever you're carrying is sitting on the axle(s) not the tongue) it will overload an axle. This is why many semi trucks can move the receiver forward and backwards, to help distribute the weight legally. Same applies when hauling.
GCWR is determined by the class of license plate on your truck and trailer. If you're scaled and you're over what you're plated to weigh, it'll cost you.
Calculating without actually weighing is useless. You're just guessing.
It's highly unlikely you'll get scaled if you're not running commercially, but it does happen occasionally, and they couldn't care less what your excuse is. If you're over on axle, gross, or plates you're getting a ticket.

618 Syndicate

You won't...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree. The new trucks gm sends off has the math already done and stuck on the door jam. Older gm trucks like ours required math. That being said the brochure and info gm release I feel should hold some weight, even though it's in a brochure.. So that being said your safe 15k pounds total. But keep the info handy in the glove department or something. It's useful and allows you to use your truck safely. Thanks for posting
"But the sales brochure said it was okay..." isn't gonna hold up in court.

618 Syndicate

You won't...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes. I agree with this. Which means in the op scenario he can pull 6400ibs and be safe since 8600 + 6400 is 15000ibs?

Follows my understanding of the ratings.
Safe and legal are two different things. I have no doubt that a well maintained 3/4 ton burb can safely pull and stop a 15k combination. Is the op's combination legal? That depends.
It's complicated, but it is what it is. Drive commercial and you learn to deal with it.