GCWR -Suburban

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mehcs

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
"But the sales brochure said it was okay..." isn't gonna hold up in court.
The sales brochure was not meant to be gospel and I’d never pull it out if I were pulled over. That said, these day most speak of GCWR and it’s the only document that I’ve seen that list the GCWR’s based on your specific truck config.

Main point is that folks can make sure they’re under the tow capacity specified by the manufacturer and be safe in the road.

618 Syndicate

You won't...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The sales brochure was not meant to be gospel and I’d never pull it out if I were pulled over. That said, these day most speak of GCWR and it’s the only document that I’ve seen that list the GCWR’s based on your specific truck config.

Main point is that folks can make sure they’re under the tow capacity specified by the manufacturer and be safe in the road.
That comment was to @SUBURBAN5 more than you.
As I said, it's unlikely that a person will get in trouble for being overweight, I said all that I have to fill in gaps you left when you were talking about the brochure as if it mattered from a legal perspective. Perhaps you already knew everything I posted, but I didn't want someone else to get themselves in a bind from not knowing.

mehcs

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score

Main point is that folks can make sure they’re under the tow capacity specified by the manufacturer and be safe on the road.
That comment was to @SUBURBAN5 more than you.
As I said, it's unlikely that a person will get in trouble for being overweight, I said all that I have to fill in gaps you left when you were talking about the brochure as if it mattered from a legal perspective. Perhaps you already knew everything I posted, but I didn't want someone else to get themselves in a bind from not knowing.
Understood. I’ve geeked out on tow capacity only because I bought the burb k2500 thinking I can pull 10k. Then realized my rear end was 3.73, and already purchased a camper. Fortunately I’m within the limits but not by much.
I bought the camper at the end of the season so i drove it 5 miles to my house then parked it. So we’ll see how the she pulls in the spring on the maiden voyage.

termite

Definitely NOT Awesome
Reaction score
Safe and legal are two different things.
Agreed. Two completely different animals.

Each state reads the DOT laws slightly different as well. NC told my dad he needed a Class A for a 7 ton trailer and his 2006 3/4 ton chevy (non-commercial use). Trooper said any trailer over 10k required it. VA DOT enforcement told him he was clear without a CDL for the same rig (he had them come out and inspect it). Makes things a tad murky in my eyes.

618 Syndicate

You won't...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Agreed. Two completely different animals.

Each state reads the DOT laws slightly different as well. NC told my dad he needed a Class A for a 7 ton trailer and his 2006 3/4 ton chevy (non-commercial use). Trooper said any trailer over 10k required it. VA DOT enforcement told him he was clear without a CDL for the same rig (he had them come out and inspect it). Makes things a tad murky in my eyes.
Very murky. Prolly on purpose....

SUBURBAN5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So I happen to own a similar brochure. I'm NOT saying it's law but what officer is going to challenge ratings posted by gm? Also I'm not saying use this to shut him up. I'm simply saying use it to be within manufacturer specs. The document stats other info and referrs to basic towing knowledge. It's the same as the door jam which is recognized in this document and shows recommended calculations. In this case the "brochure" stats " trailer ratings are calculated assuming the driver and 1 passenger are in the tow vehicle and it has all the required trailering equipment. "
The op posted info that is useful, but yes I agree other factors do play a roll. Either way at least it's a starting point for somebody to consider what there "suburban" may be capable of

Also for the record this info is available in the owners manual

Attachments

• 20231227_182103.jpg
    20231227_182103.jpg
    308.7 KB · Views: 14
  • 20231227_182114.jpg
    20231227_182114.jpg
    250.4 KB · Views: 14
  • 20231227_182121.jpg
    20231227_182121.jpg
    310.3 KB · Views: 10
  • 20231227_183532.jpg
    20231227_183532.jpg
    143.2 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:

618 Syndicate

You won't...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I happen to own a similar brochure. I'm NOT saying it's law but what officer is going to challenge ratings posted by gm? Also I'm not saying use this to shut him up. I'm simply saying use it to be within manufacturer specs. The document stats other info and referrs to basic towing knowledge. It's the same as the door jam which is recognized in this document and shows recommended calculations. In this case the "brochure" stats " trailer ratings are calculated assuming the driver and 1 passenger are in the tow vehicle and it has all the required trailering equipment. "

The op posted info that is useful, but yes I agree other factors do play a roll. Either way at least it's a starting point for somebody to consider what there "suburban" may be capable of

A brochure is not the same as the tag. The vin is on the tag so you know specifically which vehicle it applies to, where the brochure is generic. I'm not sure what officers you're used to dealing with, but the ones I've been in contact with would have a good laugh while writing you the ticket if you pulled out the owners manual as justification for breaking the law.
If it happens to you, please report back and let me know how goes!

SUBURBAN5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
A brochure is not the same as the tag. The vin is on the tag so you know specifically which vehicle it applies to, where the brochure is generic. I'm not sure what officers you're used to dealing with, but the ones I've been in contact with would have a good laugh while writing you the ticket if you pulled out the owners manual as justification for breaking the law.
If it happens to you, please report back and let me know how goes!
Lol I'm not gonna go in circles. An officer needs info to enforce vehicle weight class or towing per manufacturer. Hypothetically if he pulls over a passenger vehicle towing a camper and wants to be a dick he gonna scale the trailer and passenger vehicle, along with nit picking any dot violation he can find. YES I agree. COMBO matters. Your vin proves engine size, type of vehicle, and 2wd or 4wd. It doesn't categorize towing capacity or rating. The door jamb sticker only shows 3 numbers. GVWR, GAWR fnt GAWR rr. He's gonna do math or he's gonna look at a chart. Either way NO where did I say pull out the brochure and get out of a ticket. In that case just shut up, be respectful, and cooperate. Let a lawyer fight the ticket. NOW FOR ANYBODY ELSE WHO EVEN WANTS TO HAVE A STARTING POINT ON HOW MUCH THEY CAN TOW. The info is available in multiple spots. Chevrolet or General motors has information available via dealer, online, owners manual, or sales brochure.....

618 Syndicate

You won't...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lol I'm not gonna go in circles. An officer needs info to enforce vehicle weight class or towing per manufacturer.
This is the part you're missing. The law is enforced per statute. That's why the tag is there, it's required by law. Just like a vin. And a license plate. And a driver's license.
20+ years of Class A CDL experience here, you're free to take or leave my advice, I'll let it go with that.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score

Interesting, that one place it says a C1500 Burb, 5.7 engine and 3.42 gears can haul 5500#, and another place it says the same truck can haul 6000#. And also that having a 3.73 rear axle ratio adds 1000# of hauling capacity....