96 GMC K2500 Suburban Restoration (with a couple of mods)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
I keep a medium sized plastic toolbox behind the driver's seat, and my ammo box with smaller tools in it. Mostly sockets, driver's and wrenches; basic tools for the repairs I've had to do on both trucks. Used it recently for battery, starter and belt replacement.....

South VA

K2500 454 Long Roof
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This will get most of your work done. If you're removing bumpers, receivers, or leaf springs you'll want more.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
That is a great video! Thanks!

I wish we had a Pull-A-Part. There are a couple of self-serve yards, but their inventory of GMT400s is pretty limited.

South VA

K2500 454 Long Roof
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Having gathered most of the aforementioned tools, I‘m hauling some furniture and other stuff to my GF’s son’s new house in NC today; a 200 mile round trip mostly on I-95. My GF has been storing stuff for him for many years, and he now has a large enough house to accommodate it.

This will be the first time I’ve used the Subdivision for hauling stuff, which is one of its intended functions.

The good news is that I’m feeling confident enough to take such a trip in this beast.

The really good news is that some bulky items are finally starting to leave the farm, thereby creating some space for us and reducing our clutter.

South VA

K2500 454 Long Roof
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The trip came off without a hitch. An hour and a half each way, with all but 15 minutes of it on I-95. I drove at a steady 75 mph, at 2500 rpms. That seemed like a good cruising speed, mostly keeping up with traffic and passing some only occasionally.

I kept a close eye on the gauges. Oil pressure stayed at 60 or a little over, temp was just right, and the voltage, according to the dash gauge and the handy plug-in volt/ammeter (thanks @Road Trip), stayed around 14.

Although interstate driving is not my favorite thing to do, it surely was a pleasure motoring along in the Subdivision. It goes down the road so well. As I’ve said before, it’s a bit like driving my living room. But it handles better.

Overall, I’m pleased. And looking forward to getting this beast in the garage this winter, where I can work on those remaining items that need attention, plus whatever else happens to emerge in the process. The idea being, come springtime, we‘ll be ready to roll.

HotWheelsBurban

Reaction score
The trip came off without a hitch. An hour and a half each way, with all but 15 minutes of it on I-95. I drove at a steady 75 mph, at 2500 rpms. That seemed like a good cruising speed, mostly keeping up with traffic and passing some only occasionally.

I kept a close eye on the gauges. Oil pressure stayed at 60 or a little over, temp was just right, and the voltage, according to the dash gauge and the handy plug-in volt/ammeter (thanks @Road Trip), stayed around 14.

Although interstate driving is not my favorite thing to do, it surely was a pleasure motoring along in the Subdivision. It goes down the road so well. As I’ve said before, it’s a bit like driving my living room. But it handles better.

Overall, I’m pleased. And looking forward to getting this beast in the garage this winter, where I can work on those remaining items that need attention, plus whatever else happens to emerge in the process. The idea being, come springtime, we‘ll be ready to roll.
Always great to hear about a trip going well! Especially if the vehicle has been worked on a bunch.
I think the Burbs are the heirs to the "big American road car" tradition of the Buick/Cadillac/Olds/Chrysler/Lincoln/Imperials.....

South VA

K2500 454 Long Roof
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Always great to hear about a trip going well! Especially if the vehicle has been worked on a bunch.
I think the Burbs are the heirs to the "big American road car" tradition of the Buick/Cadillac/Olds/Chrysler/Lincoln/Imperials.....
Thank you. It was a good trip, especially in contrast to the past few months of ah, challenges.

I think your comment on Suburbans being heirs to the “big American road car” tradition is spot on. This prompted me to look into the history of the American station wagon (of which the Suburban is a fine example) back in the 1930s. Many, maybe most, were based on the large sedans you mentioned. The Suburban, on the other hand, was truck based, but was a station wagon nonetheless.

Roomy and comfortable, combining passenger capacity with cargo capacity, the station wagon was arguably the ultimate family road trip machine of its time. And the 1935 Suburban is credited with being the first all steel station wagon made.

Which is why I sometimes think of mine as a 4WD ¾ ton station wagon.

With roots like that, no wonder it goes down the road so well!

South VA

K2500 454 Long Roof
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ve been thinking about using the Subdivision for hauling tools to and from the house we’re renovating, especially now that camping is over until April. Seems a shame just to let it sit, even with a garage, so yesterday I transferred a bunch of tools from my DD to the beast. The house is just under nine miles from the farm, so I won’t be racking up too many extra miles by using it for that.

It rained >4” here in the last couple of days, and the aforementioned house has a steep, mostly dirt and gravel driveway. Glad I got the transfer case switch sorted, as 4WD was definitely needed. It climbed the hill with aplomb, leaving nary a skid mark.

You must be registered for see images attach

Now I need to clear the remaining tools out of the ‘93 K1500 Suburban so that I can get it ready to sell. I’d considered tackling it as a restoration project, but have neither the time nor the funds to do a proper job. Plus, there are too many vehicles on the farm, it’s costing me money to register and insure, so it must go. It will be a good project for someone. I’ll clean it up and post some pictures in another thread.

HotWheelsBurban

Reaction score
I’ve been thinking about using the Subdivision for hauling tools to and from the house we’re renovating, especially now that camping is over until April. Seems a shame just to let it sit, even with a garage, so yesterday I transferred a bunch of tools from my DD to the beast. The house is just under nine miles from the farm, so I won’t be racking up too many extra miles by using it for that.

It rained >4” here in the last couple of days, and the aforementioned house has a steep, mostly dirt and gravel driveway. Glad I got the transfer case switch sorted, as 4WD was definitely needed. It climbed the hill with aplomb, leaving nary a skid mark.

Now I need to clear the remaining tools out of the ‘93 K1500 Suburban so that I can get it ready to sell. I’d considered tackling it as a restoration project, but have neither the time nor the funds to do a proper job. Plus, there are too many vehicles on the farm, it’s costing me money to register and insure, so it must go. It will be a good project for someone. I’ll clean it up and post some pictures in another thread.
Good to hear that the Subdivision is still performing well! I'm sure your older Burb will be able to find a suitable new home; people are discovering how capable these vehicles are.
On my route to and from work, there's a very similar looking Burb, usually sits in front of the house until the owners need it to haul something. I'll see if I can get a new picture of it this week; I've posted a few before.

South VA

K2500 454 Long Roof
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Discovered a fluid leak on the front passenger side wheel.

In the process I also noted that the ball joint boot is pretty well shot. So I’m guessing I have a leaking axle seal (apparently common) and a ball joint that needs replaced.

After it dries out a bit (it’s raining pretty hard) so I don’t destroy the yard, I’ll pull it into the shop and put a floor jack under it to see what’s really going on.

termite

Definitely NOT Awesome
Reaction score
The onl
Discovered a fluid leak on the front passenger side wheel.

In the process I also noted that the ball joint boot is pretty well shot. So I’m guessing I have a leaking axle seal (apparently common) and a ball joint that needs replaced.

After it dries out a bit (it’s raining pretty hard) so I don’t destroy the yard, I’ll pull it into the shop and put a floor jack under it to see what’s really going on.
The only fluid out there should be brake fluid… unless the grease in the ball joint or hub is separating and releasing oil.