96 GMC K2500 Suburban Restoration (with a couple of mods)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

South VA

K2500 454 Long Roof
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Subdivision went in for its final transmission post-rebuild checkup this morning, which had been delayed for a couple of months due to having to sort out the VCM issues. Trent spent the better part of an hour with it, up on the lift and test driving. He says it’s good to go, which is what I expected.

Now I can take that item off the list, which makes for a decent way to start the New Year.

South VA

K2500 454 Long Roof
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Went to the body shop yesterday to see about getting the “Suburban” and ”GMC Truck” emblems put back on the barn doors. I decided a while back that I prefer the stock look, but hadn’t gotten around to doing it.

Come to find out that I really needed to order new ones. After Jim (my go-to body guy) explained the amount of cutting and trimming of tape involved, I can see why he wanted no part of it. He will, however install new ones. So I ordered the set, which comes with the tape applied. Expensive at ~$200, but they’ll look quite a bit better against the new paint. I wouldn’t be surprised if he doesn’t charge me for putting them on.

While I was there I asked him about replacing the worn-out driver’s side hinge pins, as the door sags a bit.

You must be registered for see images attach

Also, the door pin roller that holds the door open is broken off. I have a new set of hinge pins and a Cunningham roller pin. I figured it would be a simple and inexpensive thing for a body shop to do.

No dice. He wasn’t interested in doing the hinges either, so it looks like this will be another winter project for me. I’ll have to enlist my GF to hold the door vertical on the floor jack and whatever jig I cobble together when I remove the old hinge pins. Youtube here I come.

While I’m at it I’ll replace the door weatherstrip, which is pretty much shot.

Keeper

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Great idea - had not thought of that!!
make sure the open door angle matches the truss, or add a cross support that matches it. I've always had wood trusses so screwing in a cross support wasn't a big deal. Not sure how you will attach cross support to metal trusses to keep it from moving.... self-tappers? or just wrap the connection good-n-tight? you'll figure it out I'm sure. Makes it a one-man show. @Erik the Awful has a homemade door trolley mower thingy also that looks very handy for those with a concrete floor

OutlawDrifter

Long Roof K2500 Driver
Reaction score
Don't let the door pins scare you, first one will take a bit to learn the process, second round is a 20min job with an extra set of hands.

Use a bolt/nut and some washers to set the new bushings in place and pay attention to which way the pin goes, one end is thicker than the other and the bushings need to match.

Precision Brand weatherstripping from classicparts.com.