'95 Cheyenne

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Cheyenne95

Reaction score
One last master cylinder note on bleeding. This crossed my mind while laying in bed and I wanted to mention it as it might help someone else. Once I thought the hydraulic clutch was fully bled, I tried one last thing. With the slave cylinder unbolted from the transmission, I pushed like heck on the master cylinder (mc unbolted and in-hand). I figured since the slave cylinder was already at full travel, I should not be able to move the master at all. It did move ever so slightly. I think this is the very short distance of the stroke where it closes off the port to the MC reservoir so fluid cannot back flow during compression. When the plunger moved this short distance, two more air bubbles escaped. They may had been trapped behind the plunger, but they are out of there now.

Hydraulic clutch still working fine

BTW, if it helps someone else, here are the name brands and part numbers for the line adapters and the braided brake line I used.

Attachments

• 20210618_163944.jpg
    20210618_163944.jpg
    215.5 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:

Cheyenne95

Reaction score
Scored some Chevrolet center caps. Took a little trimming on the backside to get them to fit properly, but I'm happy with them. By coincidence, the color is nearly a perfect match to the rims, which I had powder coated earlier this year. There is a different factory center cap I had in mind, but came across these for a price I was very happy with, so I'll keep them for the foreseeable future. Yes, the truck is still filthy.

Attachments

• 20210513_113918.jpg
    20210513_113918.jpg
    303.9 KB · Views: 9
  • 20210513_113928.jpg
    20210513_113928.jpg
    275.7 KB · Views: 9
  • 20210513_113946.jpg
    20210513_113946.jpg
    329.2 KB · Views: 9

Cheyenne95

Reaction score
Kicked on the parking lights Wednesday evening and I had none. No parking and no gauge lights. The headlight switch is a year or two old and is an ACDelco replacement unit.

I checked fuses and the courtesy (#4) and the running lamps (#9 IIRC) were not blown and not getting power. I pulled the bezel off to give the headlight switch a look and the parking lights magically came on. What the heck? The plug to the headlight switch is not loose. The parking lights are now working. For how long?

Here one question: What are the courtesy lights, fuse #4? I thought 'courtesy lights' were the interior cab lights. In my '95 Cheyenne there is a good ten amp fuse in that spot, but no power going to it. When should this circuit be hot at the fuse? My interior cab lights all but one quit working this past spring. The only one working now (when a door is open or when switched on at the headlight switch) is the driver's side under-dash light. The map lights are no longer working either; used to. I did some troubleshooting a few months back and I believe something is allowing feedback on the lighting circuit. Instead of pulling to ground, there is power coming from the supply side and the ground side, resulting in no lights (accept the one) to light. Since the map lights tie into this same circuit, they are no longer functional either. It is a crew cab and the rear cab lights have never worked since I've owned it. I wrote that off as a bad wire running back to it but have yet to verify that.

The headliner is just starting to sag in a few spots. I figure within the next year or so I'll replace the headliner. At that time I'll have full access to the wiring and figure out why the rear cab light does not work. Now that the middle cab light longer works, and given this recent parking light experience, I'm wondering if the replacement ACDelco headlight switch is already starting to fail.

What muddies the waters is the previous owner installed both an aftermarket alarm (which I hate, but love the keyless entry), and two gauges on the A-pillar. I have no idea if the alarm ties into the lighting, but hoping not. A failing alarm box could cause all kinds of electrical gremlins. I'll look for a model number and maybe find the installation manual, see if it shows tying into the lighting circuits. Lighting for the additional two gauges is provided by one of those evil circuit taps and was added to one of the wires running to/from the headlight switch plug. I'm guessing the wire it is tied into is the lighting circuit for the gauges.

What prompted all this is that I came back from a ten day vacation and found the truck with only 8 volts. Turned on the headlights to see if they had power and found the parking lights and dash lights not coming on. Either the six year old and pricey Optima batteries are dying (IMO prematurely), or there is a phantom electrical draw. I charged the batteries up and she started yesterday. Drove about 30 minutes and shut her off for maybe 20 minutes. The batteries fell to 12.1 volts in that time. She cranked and started, but it does not inspire confidence. I put her back on the charger when I arrived home. The recently swapped-in NAPA lifetime alternator seems to be charging ok, charging at 13.6 volts (I'd prefer closer to 14 volts). Since it is the only recent change in the electrical system, it is not above suspicion. Could a bad alternator have an internal draw? It does have a direct wire leading to the batteries.

After some 14 years of fairly reliable service, just the usual fair wear and tear components, she's experiencing some problems here recently. Electrical problems are the worst, and I hate not having confidence in a vehicle. I'm troubleshooting tomorrow if the weather/rain allows. Hopefully I can quickly identify the problem(s). Hopefully it is not the batteries dying on me. If so, easy fix, but an expensive one. Instead of going with Optima again, I'm considering the ACDelco AGM 78VPG battery(s) a try. Only problem is that it seems to be unavailable right now. Wondering if it is discontinued or perhaps production fell victim to pandemic induced shipping and supply woes. Also considering the Odyssey AGM batteries. Comments on insight for either are welcome.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What do your battery terminals and cables look like? Big, fat cables with nice, clean ends tigthened securely? Or the factory cables with corrsion growing back under the insulation, a screw holding the battery cable on, and terminals that look like Cujo chewed on them?

Cheyenne95

Reaction score
Thanks for asking.

Factory cables. All connections are clean and tight. The rubber insulators on the cable ends show their age, but generally in good repair. I have considered replacing them, and will if I can't resolve the issue otherwise.

Saturday I pulled the batteries out and had them tested. Passenger-side battery tested good, driver-side battery tested bad; diesel, two batteries. Seems the one battery has been carrying the other.

New batteries have been ordered, but the old batteries will limp along until they arrive; should be tomorrow/Wednesday. Went with the Odyssey AGM 78-34. Reinstalled the old batteries in the meantime. They'll still start the truck and I can drive it if needed.

The original lead slug that is sandwiched between the two positive battery cables on the passenger's side looked worse for wear. I ordered an ACDelco replacement. Installed it when I put the old batteries back in. I also replaced the long terminal bolt with a new one. It should not make a difference, but I also swapped the batteries from side-to-side. Too many changes to say what impacts they have, if any, but she starts faster/easier now. My guess is the replacement lead slug had an impact as it is slightly taller than the original. I believe this provides a better connection. Short lived experiment since new batteries will be here soon. Will have to see what difference they make.

If problems continue, I will look into new cables. I cannot find new GM or ACDelco pieces that match the factory, but I did find one or two aftermarket sets. Or I might roll my own. I have a hydraulic crimp tool for large cable ends. Any known quality aftermarket options that 6.5TD owns gravitate too?

Last edited:

Cheyenne95

Reaction score
I went with the Odyssey ODX-AMG-34/78 battery. It has both side terminals and top posts, and for some reason they were $16 cheaper each, so $32 saved between the two. I figure the top posts will come in handy if I ever replace the factory cables; I prefer top posts. Plus, they make it easier for the fairly rare jump start (of other vehicles). They also make it easier to add a battery charger or such. A few reasons that attracted me to them over the 78 series with side post.

They are rated at 850 CCA and 1500 CA, but new tested slightly higher than rated. With the recently installed new gear driven ACDelco starter, the new batteries, and the new lead slug between the positive battery cables on the passenger side, the engine spins over stupid fast and fires right off. When I put in the new Optima batteries five years ago it started faster and easier. When I replaced the starter the first time years back it started faster and easier. Now it spins like I've never heard before.

Of course the fun didn't last long as the recently installed hydraulic clutch master cylinder split and leaked. I do not like these plastic master cylinders. I managed to limp it home in 4th gear, got lucky with little to no traffic on the back roads. Slowing for corners and then chugging back up to 1k RPMs was rough, but the old diesel cranked it out.

I ordered and bolted on a LuK aluminum body master cylinder: part number LuK LMC129. Had to go through the painful bleeding process again, always fun. After bleeding, the clutch would still not fully release. I got to thinking and measured from the center of the push rod hole to the mounting flange of the master cylinder and compared it to the plastic GM unit I removed. The LuK measures 1/8" shorter. As a test I cut a piece of 1/4" O.D. steel brake line to a length of 3/16" (an extra 1/16" for good measure) and inserted it in between the push rod and the end of the piston. The piston has a cup for the push rod to sit down in so the brake line shim cannot fall out. This band aid seems to have 'fixed' it, the clutch now fully releases. Via the inspection hole on the side of the bell housing, I'm going to mark the clutch fork's position to ensure that this shim is not adding any 'pre-travel' to the clutch. Do not want the throw out bearing riding against the clutch with it engaged else it will burn up the bearing. I do not believe it is, but until I check it, I cannot say for sure. If I do need to take up the difference, how best to go about it? I'm not going to leave the steel brake line in there as it is not a permanent solution. I have come up with four different options thus far and all should work just fine. Making a better shim out of a piece of brass or such, extend the push rod with a little welding on the end then grind it to final length and shape, cut and thread the push rod and extend it with a coupler nut and a couple of jam nuts, or build a new push rod from scratch using the original as a template. Making a replacement shim would likely be the easiest, cheapest, and fastest. I have a brass drift set, one of those could spare less than a quarter inch off one end and it would never be missed.

The joys of no truck payment and home wrenching. Hopefully the aluminum LuK master cylinder means years of trouble-free clutching.

Last edited:

Cheyenne95

Reaction score
Thanks for the compliment, I appreciate it. I try to include all details on the chance it helps someone. Plus, I can look back on it later when I've forgotten what I've done. I know I get long-winded and I apologize for that. 8)

I purchased my OBS in 2007, took me a year to find it. I do not plan to replace it. We are hoping to build a house within the next year, and the plan is to have my own barn/shop/space for tinkering. Three or four years after moving I'm hoping to repower with a Duramax. Until then, I need my 6.5TD to keep on rolling. I have plans to rebuild the front suspension. I thought I'd have it done by now, hopefully this fall. I have a set of injectors and glow plugs waiting to go in also.

I'm appreciative for gmt400.com. I'm a member of a local FWD club. It's forum has pretty much gone to the wayside as everyone moved to FB. Long live the forum.

MrPink

Bainisteoir Páirteanna
Reaction score
I'm appreciative for gmt400.com. I'm a member of a local FWD club. It's forum has pretty much gone to the wayside as everyone moved to FB. Long live the forum.
I completely agree, I was a moderator on a local forum here in Mi for sport compacts and it has gone the wayside too... I haven't logged on in quite a few years, I loathe FB groups so I gave up on it. I am still really good friends with a handful of the OG members but that is it. Was on that forum for 14yrs before I left it finally. Forums are a vast wealth of Knowledge, this forum specfically as the truck I am building is the first GMT400 I haven't just drove.

618 Syndicate

You won't...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't do Facebook. Don't need that drama in my life. I was very active in a bike forum until the politics got completely out of control.
I'm a member on a Mercedes forum but it's largely inactive, I use it more as a resource of old knowledge than anything else.
I was pretty active on dually scene, but it evidently moved to FB so there ends that journey for me.
I'm glad to be here, lots of knowledge, helpful friendly members who watch out for each other, minimal nonsense.