89 RCLB K1500 - Quality time with my son building his first truck.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SNCTMPL

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
More parts today. We now have everything to rebuild the front differential as well as the rear.
Also received the JBA stainless wye.

You must be registered for see images attach

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Having just done a diff rebuild on my Mustang, invest the time and money in a "solid spacer kit" to replace that crush sleeve. The "crush sleeve eliminator kit" for my 8.8 was $70, but the "solid spacer kit" was $30, and it's the exact same thing.

A crush sleeve is not adjustable, so if you have trouble getting the pinion spaced right, all you can do is crush it further and further until you have to replace it again and start over. Also, crush sleeves loosen up with mileage while solid spacers don't.

SNCTMPL

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I haven’t found those kits for either one of the diffs we rebuilding, so I just got an extra crush sleeve for both, just in case.

SNCTMPL

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Time for an update. I have been traveling for work the last couple of weeks and we are now ready to get started with the truck.
I talked with my friend(my machinist) last week and he informed me that the block is almost ready, the rotating assembly is balanced and he should have the manifold bored and modified this week. Finally about ready to get going. Pulled it out of the backyard and got it into the driveway.

SNCTMPL

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ordered a couple of parts over the last couple of weeks. Picked up the TBI spacer from cfm-tech, and the lower steering bearing from Wolff engineering.Both are very nice pieces.

SNCTMPL

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We are going to work on getting the 350 that’s in it running. It’s been sitting for quite awhile so I’m going to be careful with it before cranking it over. It’s a 5.7 out of a 94 with under 100k miles. Picked up a few things to help with that. Once we get it running we can evaluate some of the other components we plan on using, mainly the transmission and transfer case.

SNCTMPL

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, we got what seemed like a big accomplishment done today. We got rid of the camper shell, don’t have to deal with it anymore. It felt good watching it drive away sitting on its new home.

Definitely a slow start to this, been really busy with work, but I feel like we are getting some momentum finally.

Decided to go with a shackle flip instead of blocks, got them ordered along with the u-bolt reversal kit from Off Road Design.

SNCTMPL

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have been frequenting Core Shifter, waiting for the shifter I want to come back in stock. On Saturday I went and checked and ended up ordering this. Got it in two days.

SNCTMPL

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Got the shackle flip and u-bolt flip kits along with some miscellaneous bolts from Off Road Design today.

SNCTMPL

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So today was a big day for us. We put the new tank in it, fuel filter, oil, plugs and a battery. The old 350 fired right up. We drove the truck around the neighborhood, it was the first time it has run and driven around under it’s own power since 07. It was pretty cool. Now the tear down can get started.