89 RCLB K1500 - Quality time with my son building his first truck.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SNCTMPL

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I’m getting far enough along that I thought I would get a build thread going for my son’s first truck. I have been hanging out around here researching and planning on what we want to do, I think we have a pretty solid plan for most of it and we‘ll figure out the rest as we go.

We got the truck from my brother a couple of years ago and it’s been sitting in the back yard waiting for me to have the time, and my son to get closer to driving age.

The truck is an 89 RCLB k1500 with a 350 and a 5 speed with manual windows and locks. I think it’s a perfect first truck. The body is pretty straight except for the typical GM paint and the is also pretty clean. It ought to be a fun project that we should be able to get started on in the next few weeks.

Here’s a few pictures of the truck.

You must be registered for see images attach

SNCTMPL

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One of the first things we did was start buying components to replace all of the steering, suspension, brakes, hubs and axles.

SNCTMPL

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So my son went out and got himself a job at 15, saved up a few paychecks, and went and bought a Rough Country lift kit with the upgraded M1 shocks and a steering stabilizer.

SNCTMPL

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I picked these up off of craigslist for my favorite price. It’ll give us something to roll the truck around on while we’re working on it and let us start polishing the wheels he wants to use, the ones that are on the truck now.

SNCTMPL

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I got a killer deal on the tires we wanted last weekend. They’re a 305/70/16. Now he just needs to get those wheels polished. I think the wheel and tire combo is going to look good.

SNCTMPL

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Earlier this week I got some parts off of a 92 2500 donor truck down in Sacramento that I’ll go pick them up this week.
1. 9.5” 14b sf with 3.73’s
2. Leaf springs
3. Torsion bars
4. Sway bar

That pretty much gets me caught up for now. I’ll do my best to keep it updated.