89 RCLB K1500 - Quality time with my son building his first truck.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SNCTMPL

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Picked up a new Chevy Performance flywheel off of Facebook marketplace today for $80.

You must be registered for see images attach

SNCTMPL

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is it any lighter?
Looking them up on Summit, they are on the lighter side of the iron/steel ones, that have the weights listed, at 30 pounds. Some as heavy as 36 pounds. The billet aluminum ones come in at 16 pound, but they are expensive and probably not necessary here.

SNCTMPL

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have been trying to figure out what engine I wanted to put in this project, and due to the lack of tbi heads that are available currently, I keep ending up down this rabbit hole that gets deeper and deeper. From a stokish build to an aluminum headed, full roller with Sniper injection and ignition, to a supercharged 6.0.

I have come to the conclusion that,
1. My son, being almost 16, still makes some pretty questionable decisions. (I can’t believe I’m saying this) So less horsepower is probably a better decision for him.
2. I have been digging around the shop and I have quite a few parts left over from my last build. A tbi roller block, a 3.75” crank, Edelbrock tbi intake, Turbo City modified throttle body, JBA headers, Moroso oil pan and few other things.

So with that information, now that I see it I’m not sure why the decision was difficult, we are going to build a mild tbi stroker. 9.5:1 compression, full roller, with the above mentioned parts.

Now on to the heads. The only performance head that is currently available with the tbi intake face, that I can find, is the Edelbrock Performer and it has a 60cc chamber that limits pistons for it. Plus they are over $1000 each.
So I committed to this build yesterday and bought a set of Summit heads and got out my intake and started looking at modifying it to bolt to the pre-87 heads.
The heads are Dart castings with 165cc runners, 2.02-1.60 valves, heat crossovers and they accept center bolt valve covers. I will need to change the springs for the roller cam, but whatever, they fit the bill pretty good for a stockish type build. I’ll keep you guys updated on the manifold modifications, preliminary investigations looks like it won’t be to difficult.

SNCTMPL

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Those are interesting, I have never seen one. There is one on eBay for $50 right now.
I have a tbi intake that I’m going to adapt to the heads. I think the rest of the install will be cleaner and easier with a stock style intake.

Last edited:

SNCTMPL

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
hey hoss, im 42 and still make questionable decisions! badass first truck for your kid! love the ESV sticker on the tailgate too!
I hear you. I’m 54 and some of my best ideas still start with “hold my beer”, and usually end with “I’m never doing that again “
Huh, now I know where he gets it.

SNCTMPL

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The parts keep piling up. Started picking up the stuff for the engine build.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adam0632