88GMCtruck's NV4500 Swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
This. You saw my floor. Pics like these...make me want to move away from my beloved Maritimes.

That's why I bought my 98 when I was out west on Vancouver Island.

It's not rust free, but it's about as close as you can get in Canada. It's just starting to show a little bit of surface here and there in the rock chips. Even the rear cab corners and rockers are solid....

88GMCtruck

I'm all 8-Luggy!
Reaction score
Auburn, Wa: From Covington, Wa: Albion, Wa: Pullma
Such clean and virgin rust free sheet metal on such and old truck.........so jealous........:)
Yeah, my entire truck is like that. No rust, just a bit of body damage on the side but that'll get fixed all in good time!

You ain't kiddin! Well, the search continues.. Wish me luck haha

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk
Very hard to find cheap for sure, but every once in awhile one comes about.

Sent from my TBI 454 powered android device.

gd1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Just a little tidbit of info for vortec guys wanting to do this swap. I talked to a friend today who has done this swap recently, and vortec engines have different crankshafts depending on if it's mated to an auto or manual. You will have to machine the end of the input shaft or get a different crank! The older engines do not have this issue.

96-1500

Bluenoser
Reaction score
Just a little tidbit of info for vortec guys wanting to do this swap. I talked to a friend today who has done this swap recently, and vortec engines have different crankshafts depending on if it's mated to an auto or manual. You will have to machine the end of the input shaft or get a different crank! The older engines do not have this issue.

Not calling anyone out here but I know one guy for sure who did that swap without that issue. '97 Vortec 350 in a K1500, 4L60E swapped to a NV4500.

I've never gotten into that stuff myself so I can't say from personal experience.

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm fairly certain the only problem you might run into is if the pilot bearing doesn't fit. If its a factory gm crank it should though because they don't know when they machine the crank if its for an auto or a manual, they make it fit both an then it doesn't matter an there's only one part to stock in the plant. The rest is no different...

gd1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Not calling anyone out here but I know one guy for sure who did that swap without that issue. '97 Vortec 350 in a K1500, 4L60E swapped to a NV4500.

I've never gotten into that stuff myself so I can't say from personal experience.

I'm fairly certain the only problem you might run into is if the pilot bearing doesn't fit. If its a factory gm crank it should though because they don't know when they machine the crank if its for an auto or a manual, they make it fit both an then it doesn't matter an there's only one part to stock in the plant. The rest is no different...

You guys both make excellent points. I just remember all the problems he had and wanted to warn others. I wonder why it gave him so much trouble? Maybe the engine in his truck had an aftermarket crankshaft??