Nv4500 swap questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
I bought a nv4500 from a 1995 3500 diesel. It’ll be swapped into my 1989 stepside 1500.

- the small black and Chevy diesel bolt patterns are the same, correct?
- Do the automatic floor boards have provisions for the manual transmissions or do I need to cut a hole in my floor pan?
- I need a slave cylinder, clutch, flywheel, and pedals. What else?
- The crossmember from the 700r4 will work and will just need moved?
- I need length corrected driveshafts?

CumminsFever

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'll chime in with my experience. Years ago I swapped a 92 to nv4500.
Yes, the bellhousing is the same diesel vs gas.
If you peel back your flooring, you should find an indentation about 6 inches square where the shifter belongs. You'll have to cut it out. I used a sawzall.
You'll need clutch pedal, master cylinder, slave cylinder, clutch, and flywheel. Don't forget, manual trans flywheel is thicker that automatic flex plate, you'll need appropriate bolts to fasten to crankshaft.
I believe the crossmember works if you move it, I did have to slot the trans mount bolt holes as the trans was hitting crossmember with holes in original position.
Yes to length correcting drive shafts.
While not "necessary", you should trim your brake pedal. The clutch pedal is close enuff that those with elephant feet can catch a foot on the brake when going for the clutch. I didn't trim mine, and a few times the brake saw unexpected action!
That'll get you real close to driving, there may be other incidentals that I've forgotten! Good luck with your swap!

Reaction score
I'll chime in with my experience. Years ago I swapped a 92 to nv4500.
Yes, the bellhousing is the same diesel vs gas.
If you peel back your flooring, you should find an indentation about 6 inches square where the shifter belongs. You'll have to cut it out. I used a sawzall.
You'll need clutch pedal, master cylinder, slave cylinder, clutch, and flywheel. Don't forget, manual trans flywheel is thicker that automatic flex plate, you'll need appropriate bolts to fasten to crankshaft.
I believe the crossmember works if you move it, I did have to slot the trans mount bolt holes as the trans was hitting crossmember with holes in original position.
Yes to length correcting drive shafts.
While not "necessary", you should trim your brake pedal. The clutch pedal is close enuff that those with elephant feet can catch a foot on the brake when going for the clutch. I didn't trim mine, and a few times the brake saw unexpected action!
That'll get you real close to driving, there may be other incidentals that I've forgotten! Good luck with your swap!
Dude thank you. So in addition I assume it’s the same input shaft?

I was curious about the floor pan. My bronco had an access tunnel that I just had to unbolt which was handy. I didn’t think about the studs for the flywheel. I’ll add that to my list.

Had no idea about the pedal. I also got the pedal assembly off the diesel truck because I’m also swapping hydroboost into it and needed the correct point of contact for the hydroboost. I didn’t list the master cylinder but that’s on the list too. I snagged a full hydroboost/master assembled so I have the hydroboost rod too. On f250/350 trucks those rods are unobtainable and it took me forever to find one.

CumminsFever

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I can't speak knowledgeably on the input shafts. Sorry. I was doing cummins swaps, so all nv4500 got the dodge/cummins input. I believe if you go to rockauto and look up the gasser vs diesel clutch, they'll tell you what input size and spline count is.
If you got the entire pedal assembly, that is sweet! I went super cheapo and just threw the clutch pedal in. It fits, but it's better to have thr brake and clutch pedal assembly for the manual.
You're gonna love the setup when it's done. I too did hydroboost swap, but in my cheapo quest, I just made my brake pedal rod the correct length and sent it. You're doing it right! Congrats!

b454rat

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Think I have one. If worried bout fitting under truck, it will fit fine, trucks are all the same doors forward, as well as floors…