NV4500 to 4L80E swap ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Stumpy

Heavy Chevy
Reaction score
In the midst of this swap, and going to have a driveshaft issue to deal with.

You must be registered for see images attach

Top is the NV4500 driveshaft, RCLB 3500. Bottom is ECLB 2500 4L80E driveshaft.

I need a shorter front driveshaft, and looks like the 2500 is the length I need, but it's going to be really close.

Question is, how much of that do I need to use. Can I slide the back shafts off the slip, and just swap those, or do I need to take them apart at the u joint?

Thanks

Stumpy

Heavy Chevy
Reaction score
Answered my own question...

You must be registered for see images attach

Separated both driveshaft at the slip. Using ECLB front shaft, and RCLB rear shaft. Bolted up, and looks like I have about an inch or so of available movement, which seems like what I had to start with.

Stumpy

Heavy Chevy
Reaction score
Tackling the wiring, and looking at the ones that need to go into the main harness, on the driver side firewall. I have a couple wires, that need to go, where there are already wires. What do I do in that instance? swap the wires, or splice them together?

I'm starting to wish I had went the stand alone computer route. Would've been a whole lot easier.

Stumpy

Heavy Chevy
Reaction score
I have zero confidence in wiring the 4L80E with the parts truck wiring. Too afraid I'm going to turn a perfectly good truck, into a lawn ornament. So with the NV4500 sold, I'll be ordering a stand alone controller, after the Thanksgiving hoopla settles down.

Stumpy

Heavy Chevy
Reaction score
Well in an effort to put off buying a stand alone controller, I merged the transmission wiring from the parts truck, into mine, and put in the computer I had tuned at Black Bear.

First of all, the truck now cranks like poo. Sounds like the timing is off, but it will eventually start, and actually idles and runs fine. Secondly, the transmission still doesn't shift :( , and now my signal lights don't work.
I have no doubts, that I put the wires in the same spots that they were in, in the parts truck. I have no freaking idea how to trouble shoot what I have now.

I'm going to reach out to Black Bear, and make sure they tuned the parts truck computer, to do what I need it to do.

If that fails, I have no choice but to spend more money, and buy a stand alone controller.

Kinda wishing I left the 5speed in there, this has been a damn mess, and help seems to be nonexistent.

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Man that stinks, I hate that it's giving you so much trouble. I wonder if there's a fuse or a relay an automatic truck has that's not installed in a manual one maybe?

Stumpy

Heavy Chevy
Reaction score
Man that stinks, I hate that it's giving you so much trouble. I wonder if there's a fuse or a relay an automatic truck has that's not installed in a manual one maybe?
That's a good question. Will definitely check that out tomorrow. Would be awesome, if that's the case.

Thanks for that.

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The only other thing I could think of would be to sit down with the pinout from each truck an compare. Maybe you have the added wires in the correct locations but one (or more) wires go different places between the two configurations. That will be time consuming but cheap at least to double check everything, if you haven't already.

Stumpy

Heavy Chevy
Reaction score
@bluex I could kiss you. lol Seriously, if we ever meet, the cold beverage of your choice, is on me.

Looking for any possible fuse contenders today, there was one in the dash fuse box, that said 10A, PRNDL in the parts truck. In my truck, it was labeled 10A, Trans, but there were no connectors in that location. So went back to the parts truck, and de-pinned the two wires from the fuse box. A fat white, and two skinny pink ones. The fat white went to the big plug for the steering column. One of the pinks went to the panel behind the convience center, on the firewall. The second pink went to the gauge plug. Even though I'm using my non-auto gauge cluster, I still ran that wire to the gauges.

Put everything back together, and hit the road. It immediately felt better on take off, since it was using 1st gear for the first time, but when went through the gears, you can not imagine how happy I was/still am.

Goes into all 4 gears, and with the firm shift option from Black Bear, it hits them with authority.

Crazy how something so simple, can keep the whole thing from working.

Thanks again bluex.

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Heck ya! :big_banana_Dance:

Glad it was something simple, an you didn't need an expensive standalone controller.

Now if I ever wind up doing this I know to to ask for technical help lol.