NV4500 swap question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Wozny

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I think I’ve looked at every YouTube vid on swapping out an automatic for a manual tranny on a 88-98 GM truck but haven’t seen a good description of how to get the pedals hooked up. I saw one shot of the clutch bracket off, and little mention of the brake pedal, so Seems like the manual brake pedal uses the old auto bracket? The picture I saw of the clutch bracket looks like it is only for one pedal.
Also did not see much on the mounting of the clutch bracket, except that it needs to bolt up to the firewall under the left wiper, and if anyone could fill me in on a couple details about that I’d appreciate it.
Thanks

TreeGeared

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I did this swap on an 88. You need the steering column unless you want to just remove the auto shift lever from the auto column. The pedal assemblies swap out. You will need a different brake pedal. Not sure what you mean by the clutch bracket. These trucks have hydraulic clutches. The earlier clutch master cylinders can be installed by drilling the needed holes in the firewall. The later clutches have an almost snap in master cylinder. There was recently another post discussing this.

Wozny

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks, I saw that post, it was very helpful. My NV4500 is a 2003 so I think I have the M/C with the square in it, the PITA. ( for going into a 92) It’s getting installed by the shop that rebuilt it. Im doing the pedals etc.
By clutch bracket I meant the bracket that bolts to the firewall and has the shaft that goes through the pedal lever. I have both pedals/ levers ( I just call them pedals), but gave them to that shop 5 months ago ( I told them not to hurry, they rebuilt the T case too), and I can’t remember what those pedals look like. But I think I just gave him pedals, as I thought that was all that was needed. But the YouTube vids showed like I described above, with separate mounting of the pedals and a clutch bracket. I pick it up tomorrow or Wednesday so will know more then. It’s got the internal slave so I told him not to sweat the MC if it was too challenging and leave it to me.

Wozny

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The shop is putting a 2003 cylinder assembly in and if the MC does turn out to be a pain I might try and replace it with a 92 by cutting and splicing the line. Just don’t ask me how!

Wozny

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Another YouTube vid shows the clutch and brake as separate, but I think that’s for later than 98. Those vids don’t always give the year of the truck. Looks like I’m good to go with just swapping the pedals

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
You'll need to match MC's with Slaves. An external slave MC (1995 and prior) will not work with internal slaves (1996+) and vice versa. The volumes and pressures they are designed for are very different.

Nick775

Reaction score
I did this swap on my 93 suburban. The clutch pedal /bracket is a completely separate unit from the other pedals. I left the auto brake pedal and just cut it to match the size of the manual brake pedal. Works great.

Wozny

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Another YouTube vid shows the clutch and brake as separate, but I think that’s for later than 98. Those vids don’t always give the year of the truck. Looks like I’m good to go with just swapping the pedals
I did this swap on my 93 suburban. The clutch pedal /bracket is a completely separate unit from the other pedals. I left the auto brake pedal and just cut it to match the size of the manual brake pedal. Works great.
Thanks, that's good to know. Now I'm real curious what that setup I have looks like. I have a 92 body. I did see a vid of a guy cutting his automatic pedal down. I remember now that I was sure all I needed was the pedals, as both were on the same shaft.

Wozny

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You'll need to match MC's with Slaves. An external slave MC (1995 and prior) will not work with internal slaves (1996+) and vice versa. The volumes and pressures they are designed for are very different.
Thanks Rich I've been thinking I would need to check the 2003 with a 1992 (which bolts right up) diameters, and make sure they are the same. But maybe it's more complicated than that. (?) The shop seems to think they can use the 2003 MC without much trouble but I didn't ask if they had seen that it was not a bolt on type, so I'm hoping they just leave it off. I saw one vid where the kid drills the hole and instead of clocking it in with a twist just leaves it loose with some silicon sealer. Maybe I could go get that stepped sheet metal from the wrecker's, cut it out of some truck, weld it in with my mig. I'm starting to think I should have gotten the external slave bell from Advance Adapters, but I think I recall there being a problem with that too, like as far as interference from the front diff. I can still pull that tranny out after I get the truck back home

Hamps

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

You talking about this bracket that keeps the stock swing geometry. Yeah I couldn't find anything out there either. I drilled out the one on the doner vehicle and grafted it to mine. Had to loosen the dash to get it installed. Used self tappers and metal epoxy. PS all the fords through these years had them be sure to tell GM