NV4500 swap questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jeremy D

Reaction score
I have a few questions about the NV4500 swap that I'm doing on my 1995 chevy 2500 4x4, my transmission is from a 2002 chevy 3500 with the 6.0 ls in it and i have a donor truck for all the other 5 speed parts pedals guage cluster column and wiring, same year engine and cab as mine but a half ton shortbed. what master cylinder do i need to run to use the internal slave cylinder? using the bellhousing from a 2000 gmc 2500 classic with the 5.7 vortec

packer0440

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
First guess would be use the 2000 classic model year one; the line is designed to fit in a very particular spot on the internal slave trucks, design could have changed in the GMT800 models. Perhaps others will know more about this.

Jeremy D

Reaction score
one other question, What clutch master cylinder can i run? the stock 95 one will not work with the internal slave cylinder and the later ones use a different mounting system

packer0440

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
one other question, What clutch master cylinder can i run? the stock 95 one will not work with the internal slave cylinder and the later ones use a different mounting system
That is a tricky question, since you are mismatching internal/external components. There might be a way to make the external one work with the earlier trucks, but not sure. You'll have to use the master and slave from the same model year no matter what you decide. From the pictures I've looked at it looks like a twist-lock system on the newer ones (I have no idea why they did this) but the pushrod mounting looks like it may work with the earlier pedal. My guess, the hole would need to be cut just right then it might work. Hopefully someone else will comment that knows something about this.

Unfortunately there is no way to switch to the external type slave cylinder on your transmission, since the transmission to bellhousing bolt pattern changed after 95. You would have to get a 95 or earlier GM trans with the bellhousing.

Jeremy D

Reaction score
I have heard about people using the master from an f350 when doing these swaps on a squarebody, not sure what year f350

packer0440

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It might be possible, it just depends on the ability to mount the master as well as the bore size. The master can't move more fluid than the slave can handle, but needs to move enough to fully disengage the clutch.