NV4500 swap question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hamps

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Much longer ago, not sure when, but absolutely pre-gmt400. The clutch pedal setup is a completely separate assembly from the brake. I know the setup you're talking about; I once discovered the hard way pulling the clutch pedal out of my '63 Suburban (had been converted to a TH400) that the brake pedal soon walked sideways and fell out ;)

Richard

Wozny

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I used a wilwood .0750 aftermarket slave and it lined up perfectly with the factory bolts but had to fab a union to go to the threads. Threaded slave to clutch pedal push rod. Ram internal throw out bearing. Shifts real nice.
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Mounts on an angle but the holes line up perfectly. The reservoir is remote mount. Did extended bleed line and everything works extremely well. Short pedal and excellent shifting even on a Sm465 pig.
Thanks, that Wilwood looks perfect, threaded port, all aluminum, reservoir attached. Just have to figure out a way to connect the line from the internal slave to the threaded port. That one is a .813 diameter bore but I'm guessing that gives a shorter throw - at the pedal- than their .750 which is better than having too long a throw. I don't think the shop is going to want to do anything out of the ordinary. Thats just the way he is. So it will be interesting to see if he gets the 2003 MC mounted up or not. Llike I said I gave him the option to let me deal with it.
That's an amazing truck inside and out, thanks for the pics. I think you said you used a .050 shim on the hydraulic bearing, to get a .050 space? Meaning you started out with a .100 space?

Last edited:

Hamps

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks, that Wilwood looks perfect, threaded port, all aluminum, reservoir attached. Just have to figure out a way to connect the line from the internal slave to the threaded port. That one is a .813 diameter bore but I'm guessing that gives a shorter throw - at the pedal- than their .750 which is better than having too long a throw. I don't think the shop is going to want to do anything out of the ordinary. Thats just the way he is. So it will be interesting to see if he gets the 2003 MC mounted up or not. Llike I said I gave him the option to let me deal with it.
That's an amazing truck inside and out, thanks for the pics. I think you said you used a .050 shim on the hydraulic bearing, to get a .050 space?
Appreciate the kind words. I daily that short wide and I’m building another one currently as a toy. The spacer went in front of the bell housing between the block. Had to cut an outline of the bell housing out of Sheetmetal. The bearing set too close.

Wozny

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Set too close to the rear main bearing cover? Sorry, just curious and trying to understand it in case I need to do it. Never heard af a shim between bell and block before, was it cuz it was a Ram bearing?

Hamps

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Set too close to the rear main bearing cover? Sorry, just curious and trying to understand it in case I need to do it. Never heard af a shim between bell and block before, was it cuz it was a Ram bearing?
Yes. The stack up was too close and that is what it needed. I’ve not seen much info on it either but believe me it is dialed currently. The sm shifts as good as any tremec or performance transmission.

Wozny

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yes. The stack up was too close and that is what it needed. I’ve not seen much info on it either but believe me it is dialed currently. The sm shifts as good as any tremec or performance transmission.
If it lacked clearance between bearing cover and throw out bearing, couldn’t you have used the GM bearing instead of the Dodge? As long as the throw out bearing works you’re going to have the same shifting, seems to me, or are you saying the reason it shifts so nice is because of the Ram throwout bearing?