88GMCtruck's never ending 88 GMC build thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

thz71

Stock SUCKS!
Reaction score
The plans sounds awesome. Kinda makes me sad your going to sell the 02 seeing as your family has had it since new. If you wana sell that Detroit in the near future I'm your man!

GMC Burbalade

Busy slacking
Reaction score
Why do you want to want to get rid of the Detroit? Have you considered a GMT800 10.5 like I've got? They've got factory discs and they're a little bit wider than the older axles.

88GMCtruck

I'm all 8-Luggy!
Reaction score
Auburn, Wa: From Covington, Wa: Albion, Wa: Pullma
Why do you want to want to get rid of the Detroit? Have you considered a GMT800 10.5 like I've got? They've got factory discs and they're a little bit wider than the older axles.
If you have never driven a short wheelbased, manual transmission truck that is lifted with soft suspension with too much power, then you will understand. The truck is HORRIBLE to drive around town with the Detroit. It pulls and clanks and chirps tires in parking lots and around corners. It's just not very enjoyable. They have inherent play in them because of the way they are designed, and by the time you compound that with the play in the rest of the driveterrain (ring and pinion, transfercase and transmission) it leaves a lot of room for my aggressive cam to lope, and cause the truck to buck back and forth at slower speeds.

Somewhere along the way I just veered too far off the path with this one.

I wouldn't mind a GMT800 rear axle, in fact I want the disc setup from one. However, the width problem is in the front. With the amount of lift I currently have is about where I want to stay. I don't really want tires larger than 35s. As it sits the truck fits in my garage and I don't want to change that. Well the tires currently sit 3" wider overall than it did as a 6-lug truck, which when it was built the tires rubbing the fender wasn't a huge problem as it became with the additional width.

RyanMerrick

8 Lug
Reaction score
Where did you get the stainless hardware for your rear diff? And do you know what size?

I need to change out the fluid and I was thinking about doing the same thing you did. Looks good!

88GMCtruck

I'm all 8-Luggy!
Reaction score
Auburn, Wa: From Covington, Wa: Albion, Wa: Pullma
Where did you get the stainless hardware for your rear diff? And do you know what size?

I need to change out the fluid and I was thinking about doing the same thing you did. Looks good!

I got them at a local hardware store, they are from the hillman section of fasteners. I don't recall the size, I just took one bolt out from the top and went to the store.

SCOTTYINWV

si vis pacem, para bellum
Reaction score
I got them at a local hardware store, they are from the hillman section of fasteners. I don't recall the size, I just took one bolt out from the top and went to the store.
That's a great idea! And I stole your exhaust dump idea between the shackles. I just didn't have enough room to run them as far back as you did on my zr2.