88GMCtruck's never ending 88 GMC build thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

thz71

Stock SUCKS!
Reaction score
SAS was totally worth it. And eventually, yes, It'll be repainted.

The red truck is sad. It's been put into serious storage. At least it's out of the weather now.

Due to some financial things it might be in here awhile.....

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

Poor truck having its beauty hidden from the world!

MYT HI

LOUD AND PROUD
Reaction score
Got a few questions if you don't mind. How do you like your door panels? I have the newer style of the 88-94 and don't find them very appealing. How did you manage all those switches below your head light switch? When I wired my fog lights there was next to no room there. This truck is a huge inspiration to mine. Can't wait to see your frame off.

88GMCtruck

I'm all 8-Luggy!
Reaction score
Auburn, Wa: From Covington, Wa: Albion, Wa: Pullma
Figured it may be time for a status update.

The transmission in the 02 GMC failed (for those who didn't hear in my dually thread). I parked it in the shed awhile since I'm not in the mood to pull the transmission right now. That means the 88 came out and I've driven it around a little. Thinking forward, I'm fairly certain I'm going to be selling the 02, and putting a chunk of the money into the 88. I've been formulating a plan for some time now. So, here it goes, more or less in order.

Phase 1
- New custom front springs, 4" rear lift springs (ditch the blocks), new shocks all the way around.
- Remove the Detroit locker. This would go hand in hang with replacing the axle...
- Either rebuild the 14FF without the detroit, swap to a van 14FF (width to match the front), or swap back to a 14SF and 6-lug. In all cases, install a traction aid and disc brakes.
- The primary reason to swap BACK to 6-lug, is the 8-lug D44 front is about 3" wider overall and the tires stick out farther than I'd like. Alternative would be to run factory PY0 wheels with less offset.
- Pull body off the frame. Clean/Paint everything.
- Install 34 gallon fuel tank in place of 26 gallon.
- Revisit the exhaust. Install headers. Replace mufflers with slightly quieter Magnaflow or Borla. Current Magnaflows are too loud.
- Rebuild steering box, and all associated components.
- Rebuild transfercase.
- New motor & transmission mounts. Reinstall cab with new body mounts.
- New tires.

At this point, the truck could be re-assembled and would be again, useable. Depending on the status of space/time/money, it would be driven or I would skip right to Phase 2.
- Gut interior. Convert to Lt. Smoke or Neutral 97+ dash and all interior electronics.
- Convert engine to MPFI with a factory Vortec 454 intake & LS1 injectors. Convert to 411 PCM
- Replace/repair body panels. Passenger door needs replaced, as do both bedsides. Repair damaged cab corner.
- Paint.

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I like these plans :popcorn: