88GMCtruck's never ending 88 GMC build thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

88GMCtruck

I'm all 8-Luggy!
Reaction score
Auburn, Wa: From Covington, Wa: Albion, Wa: Pullma
Time for another build thread! I have enjoyed the other build threads I have kept: the 78 Nomad trailer resto, and the 99 6.5L Towpig. Since the towpig is history, I'm concentrating on the 88 once again. Seeing as I have never kept a running build thread, I have decided it is time to actually make a build thread about my truck to document some of the progress, etc. Plus it's an excuse to post little updates that wouldn't otherwise be reason for a thread themselves.

We'll start with it's history. Grandparents bought the truck in 1988 brand new. It's a regular stepside K1500 350/700R4 truck in top of the line SLE Sierra trim inside and out. An off note, in 1988 the Z71 package didn't exist and the truck for whatever reason did not come with towhooks. What made the truck interesting is the RPO "Super Saver Package" that kept the truck as a SLE Sierra but stripped the interior down to the essentials: basic bench, AM/FM, AC and cruise. No tilt, no PWDL. In 2002 I received the truck with 88k on it (ironci!?).

You must be registered for see images attach

But it being stock didn't last long.

Being 16 the truck underwent many changes, a good amount of them cheap, free or made up by me being I couldn't afford much. A few were learning experiences, some stayed with the truck, and of course there were a few I am no longer proud of (such as altezza taillights and blue neon).

Due to the miles/age of the truck, I replaced lots of small things, waterpump, radiator, alternator twice, starter a few more times, etc. Eventually larger things like the rear end went out, and a few years later the 700R4 gave up the ghost. By 2005 I was in college and the truck IMO was looking pretty good.

Seeing as I lived in a very snowy climate at college, I also picked up a winter set of wheels that also served as a good wheelin set.

At this point the truck ate through a second 10-bolt and the addition of a 14SF was added. I always was into 4x4ing and my truck, so there was already tons of ideas in my head. Eventually I started making good money in the summers and in 2008 I picked up the 02 GMC. The front suspension in the 88 at this time needed a full overhaul, so about a week after owning the new truck I decided that rebuilding the suspension meant it was time to install a Dana 44 front axle. The parts collection began. A little cut here, a grind over there and a few welds resulted in 3 hard weeks working with my dad as much as humanly possible between work and sleep to convert this thing.

The result was 8" of lift while still being a very streetable, yet capable truck. Build: http://www.gmt400.com/forum/showthr...lid-Axle-Swap-Build&highlight=solid+axle+swap

After a good deal of wheeling and driving later, this happened.

The Automatic didn't like it very much but it survived another 6 months. Then came cablights and stock mirrors sometime in 2009

My previous water incident ended up prompting this upgrade.

The summer of 2010 I bought a 1978 trailer for camping. It's been a project all in it's own. Build: http://www.gmt400.com/forum/showthr...8GMCtruck-is-at-it-again&highlight=1978+nomad After towing it awhile, I finally did a much needed gear upgrade from 3.73s to 4.56s.

The 88 took a year long break from most use when I bought a 99 6.5L K2500 5-speed truck. Build: http://www.gmt400.com/forum/showthread.php?3339-88GMCtruck-s-99-6-5L-Towpig-slow-build

But in the end I sold it and am once again concentrating on this truck. I just finished converting the truck to 8-lug with hubs up front and a detroit locked SRW Corporate 14FF axle from a CUCV.

Next plans include a repower. The stock TBI350 is entirely original and is just about to roll 200k. It burns no oil and has great compression still, just lacking in the power department.

eric.s.t

Stroked
Reaction score
This truck went through lots of changes, i have to say it has always looked sick! the new axles and 8 lugs wheels look bad ass! Im really diggin the lug nuts too!

canuckz71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Truck looks awesome!!

Love the old racelines ive been tryin to find a set up here but they are pretty pricey here.