88-94 vs. 95-98 Interior Debate

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Drunkcanuk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Don't get me started on the aftermarket once they look like crap in my opinion period.
sadly I installed a set of app to market once on my truck. The answer is kind of class it up a bit.. But if it weren't for the butcher hack done to the stock ones I would try and get him recovered to be honest
I do have experience with fiberglass, am a carpenter by trade and one of the divisions at my wife's work is an upholstery shop. One day I may find a boneyard set and experiment. But alas....a million other things on the plate. But your plaid still has me thinking!!! Lol

Dropped88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I do have experience with fiberglass, am a carpenter by trade and one of the divisions at my wife's work is an upholstery shop. One day I may find a boneyard set and experiment. But alas....a million other things on the plate. But your plaid still has me thinking!!! Lol
You like plaid? Here's another one in plaid.
You must be registered for see images attach

Urban Cowboy

Reaction score
I've had two of the older style and now have a 97 Sierra SLE newer style. I have to say that I agree in regards to the crappy in dash cup holder that's useless for driving. Besides that though I much prefer the newer style mostly because the dash allows enough room to fit a double DIN into it so now I have navigation and backup camera.

Not sure about the seat remarks as mine are fine still sporting the factory fabric with no rips or tears whereas on my older ones the seats were trashed when I got them.

About the only thing I disliked about my 97 was the brakes were crap and I addressed that with premium drilled/slotted rotors along with new calipers and pads. It actually stops now. LOL

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Again, I like both. One of the reasons I like them is they “don’t” have that big annoying bright screen on the dash that my ‘18 Z71 had.

Yeah, screens don't impress me. I do NOT want to drive a car/truck where I have to use a touch screen to do something because the manufacturer is too cheap to make a real button or knob to adjust something. Fixing that stuff later will be a craptacular experience later, I'm sure.

Note: I may be grumpy this morning.

unruhjonny

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think there are definitely pros and cons for each generation of interior;
I had a civil engineering field job in the summer of 1997 where I got to drive a brand new 1/2 ton (very basic; tan cloth interior, 305/auto), and I remember being "wowed" by the new interior;
That engine seemed really peppy for a 305 too - then again, I now know that the 1996+ got more power.

My grandfather bought an '88 as soon as they were out, and my truck is essentially that trucks replacement;
The 88 was a two tone brown on brown cloth interior, 2wd, regular cab, regular box, full length bench, this truck is a vast departure from that one.

I remember after graduating in 1995 I moved to live with my dad and he had a 1994 extended cab short box GMC (2wd; 350) I really loved the truck - but I loved even more his bosses 1995(?) 2wd regular cab, short box step side 350/at truck...

My brothers have had trucks come and go, so of late I have seen A LOT more of the new stuff than the older stuff.

I will agree that it essentially seems the older design seats and interiors seem to hold their age well, or at least better than the redesigned stuff.
I have always loved the seats in the 88-94 trucks;
I am used to vinyl interiors, but these 88-94 cloth seats do seem be the best.

I don't quite understand all the hoopla over the 'square body' trucks these days;
Don't get me wrong, they can be quite nice too, but compared against my truck I always disliked the door panels, seats, and even the dash of the 73-87 trucks.
It was mentioned that the 88-94 radio system isn't perfect, but neither is the original two post radio setup for a square body - has anyone here tried just changing the radio on that style truck's steel dash?
(HINT: PITA)

When I was living with my dad, I drove around a retired CP Rail 1983(?) 2wd 1/ ton (back then the CP trucks were all 'hugger orange');
When my dad got this truck, it had no radio, and I wasn't having any of that, so I scored a generic 1978-1985(??) AM/FM Tape player, and swapped it in.

Back lighting on door controls would be nice, but if you have decent interior lighting you should never need it, and frankly, that's just another thing that can break or go wrong - I'm fine with keeping things simple.
My (1970) Firebird had an absolute minimum of interior lighting, and it works just fine.

I don't like the 88-91(?) "moonie"(?) gauges.

I love the 92-94 gauges.

The 88-94 radios do exactly what they were supposed to do - they are not stolen because they are a multi-piece radio setup, and if you care to iron out a setup with issues (as I did the year after getting this truck), they can sound great (hint: CDM & proper speakers)

I don't care for the 95+ seats because they are overall too "pillowy" and tend to wear out faster - the vinyl interiors just make matters worse.

I like the 88-94 seats, the cloth tends to age VERY well, but I hate the auto-latch on my truck's passenger side (split bench) seat - I just cannot get it to function correct.
I've essentially got it locked in the upright position (the seat banging forward when doing moderate braking was a real nuisance).

The 1996+ got more power.

The 88-95 made less power, but would seem to keep running forever.

In all, count my vote for preferring 88-94.

Last edited: