88-94 vs. 95-98 Interior Debate

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
That would be one opinion. The 94- looks gimmicky. :Good or Bad:
No way sir. 3rd gen Trans-Am with ALL the steering wheel buttons is what I'd call gimmicky. :) This thing looks like you should be able to solve complex math problems with it, or launch missiles. I think when they designed the KITT car for Knight Rider they just had to add the red lights to the hood. ;)
You must be registered for see images attach

The LCD display dash on the early 4th gen Corvettes is what I'd call gimmicky. So modern. So high-tech. So friggin hard to read..

Richard

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No way sir. 3rd gen Trans-Am with ALL the steering wheel buttons is what I'd call gimmicky. :) This thing looks like you should be able to solve complex math problems with it, or launch missiles. I think when they designed the KITT car for Knight Rider they just had to add the red lights to the hood. ;)

The LCD display dash on the early 4th gen Corvettes is what I'd call gimmicky. So modern. So high-tech. So friggin hard to read..

Richard
Obviously “I’m” mostly kidding on all this, I like them all, but somebody has to stick up for the 95+, unless you want this thread to become an echo chamber. Opinions on either are subjective.

0xDEADBEEF

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I actually love all the gimmicky dashes and such. I also love the moon gauges, so apparently, I'm weird.

I think the C4 tachometer is friggin' genius with the HP curve overlayed on top of it. Every tack should have that. :)

johnckhall

GO DAWGS!!!
Reaction score

Richard
I thought that C4 dash was the coolest thing when it came out. I remember the later Datsun 280ZXs had digital dashes, but this took it to whole different level. Technology was just taking off and Chevy stepped it up with the digital LCD look. It may look a lot dated today, but at the time it was futuristic looking to me.

351FUN

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Can't forget the olds cutlass either. If you had one you won't forget it because they all inevitably started to fail at some point.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Just realized I've replied in here but never actually chimed in on the original question...

Personally I prefer the new interiors over the old, but it does seem like the '95+ plastics get pretty brittle. My red '97 has been garaged for the majority of its' life and still has a couple small cracks in the dash.

GMC_YA_L8R

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
For me, it's the 88-94 interior and it's not even close. I had a '97 GMC Suburban and I loved that truck but the older interior just feels way more classic. To go along with the classic stuff, the TBI trucks are just easy to work on and don't require many specialty tools. For the weekend garage guy like myself it's a good mix of style and simplicity.