Write up: Floor Shift, Non-Tilt Column Disassembly 88 - 94

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

fancyTBI

Some of my trucks run and drive
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This write-up is for disassembly and replacement of multifunction switch and windshield wiper switch for non-tilt, non-column shift steering columns for 88-94 trucks (mine is a ‘92 but I believe other years are similar). I see a lot of videos and posts for column shift trucks but haven’t found one for the column I described. Anyways, let’s get into it.

1. Disconnect battery.
  2. Remove steering wheel. You can rent a puller from the parts store if you don’t have one.
    1. Here is a great video to reference when removing the wheel. It is the one I used.
    2. How to Replace Turn Signal Switch 1988-2000 Chevy C/K1500
    3. Follow to the part where they remove the brace from the shaft and remove the wires from the loom that is tucked into the brace.
    4. The connector for the turn signal switch is on a mounting bracket on the column
    5. The connector for the windshield wiper switch is hanging freely. Follow the wires coming through the column and you will see them.
    6. If you have cruise, there will be a separate black wire that plugs into the harness, my truck did not have cruise, I can’t comment where it goes exactly. You should be able to follow it to the connector.
  3. In the video, notice how the clamshell on the column separates on the automatics, this is not the case for floor shift models. Here is where it gets different. You can do it without dropping the column, but it is certainly easier when removing the column.
  4. There are three screws holding the two (1,2) pieces together. The lower portion (3) is clipped in, you can pop it off by squeezing it gently. You access the screws by unscrewing them from the back side (closest to the dash) of part 2. It is easier to gain access to these by removing the dash bezel.
You must be registered for see images attach

5. The screws are located In these locations:

6. Screw #1 contains a wave washer that is a part of the key release assembly, don’t lose it. If you do, replace it with another. The key release assembly will more than likely separate upon separating pieces 1 & 2. Set the assembly aside. It consists of the washer, a spring, and the lever.
  1. The key release lever is under tension. In the photo below, make sure that spring (29) sits under the lever (28) but the right prong on the spring should sit on top of the lever, to allow it to move under tension. I should have got a photo of this, but I did not. Most of the spring will be “hidden” underneath the lever, but there should be a small piece overlapped onto the lever. You will see wear marks where the spring rubs on the lever If you’re lucky, when you pull the shells apart it wont go flying and you can see how it looks.

7. Now with the shells apart, you can easily remove the wiper switch from the shell. There is a rod for the high beam switch, pull this out. Then you can access the bolt that holds the wiper switch, remove from the shell. Pull the harness for the multi-function switch through the front. You can remove it earlier but I found it easier to let it hang and remove it later. There is also a metal plate that sits in shell piece #1. You can see it below, it sits in place in shell piece #1. I think it is there to distribute weight.

8. Replace the windshield switch and install the metal rod prior to assembling the shells.

9. It is important to make sure your rack and gear for the ignition switch are aligned properly, as well as your spring and bolt for the wheel lock. Below is a photo of the position the rack and gear should be in and how the spring/bolt is mounted. I left the rack on the rod that goes to the ignition switch. I installed the spring/bolt on that before mating the two shells together, seen in the photo below.

10. Slide the harness through shell #2 for both the multi-function and the windshield wiper switches. Install the bolt for the windshield wiper switch.

11. The rack will sit in a clip in shell #2. Make sure your rack and gear are lined up. If they are lined up and your key lever is under tension you should have no problem when the key cylinder is reinstalled. See photo in step #10

12. I inserted the screws into shell #2 before mating #2 and #1. Then I aligned the shells and fastened them in place from behind. Basically the opposite of the disassembly. Make sure the high beam rod is seated in the windshield wiper switch. Be sure to test your key lock before it is entirely assembled. You can hold the shells together, insert the key cylinder, and cycle the key to make sure it functions properly.

13. Once assembled you can test again to make sure all functions are working. The spring/bolt should cycle in and out, your key lock lever should function normally. Congrats, this is the hardest part done.

14. Follow the video from above for the install. Use your fasteners for the ignition cylinder, multifunction switch, switch arm for turn signals, etc. The switches/fasteners are the same from column to column. Mine did not have torx screws, mine had bolts and philips screws.

I hope this helps someone. I might revise this once I look it over again. Please reference the service manual at: 1992 service manual. These files were kindly provided by forum member Hatzie and are FREE to download. The pages you will want for this job are 3F1-13 through 3F1-24.

Last edited:

HawkDsl

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Here is a picture of the key release spring (Item 1 in this write up):

The bit that looks like it's in the way of a screw hole is actually not in the way of anything.
In reference to item 7, the star like plate will fall out easy. When reassembling, you can tape it down by one of the "ears" to hold it in place.

My advice is to take the column completely out of the truck for any service. You can have the pre-91 columns (no air bag) out in less than 15 minutes. All the electric connections are unique, so you can't mess that up.

Also... Having done quite a few turn signal replacements, it's way better to drop the four bolts holding the column to the bottom of the dash to run the wires. It's very tight in there, and the gigantic turn signal connector is virtually impossible to feed through the column... Even with usual piano wire like tricks.

Internal parts for the column are tiny and easy to lose. Be well organized, and have a safe place to hold these parts during service. Allot of them are made of unobtainium.

fancyTBI

Some of my trucks run and drive
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes if I were to do this again I would pull the column. I recently pulled one from another truck and it was quick and easy to do. Appreciate the photos!