$800 - 89 K1500 Silverado - negleted to useful

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

89GMC4by

Reaction score
I finally got the new speedometer gear in. And now, the trip meter isn't working. It's better than before and I can finally get an idea on gas mileage. I'm not going to go back into it until I get some new panels. My current ones are so old and brittle I get nervous every time I work on it.
You must be registered for see images attach

Same thing happened to me. I decided it was a deeper issue so I also didn’t try to fix it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MaqTruck

Reaction score
My wipers have a mind of their own in my ‘89. Sometimes they work right away, sometimes it’s a few miles down the road, sometimes it’s never. Wonder if this may be the problem.

Mine had a mind of their own two. It was crazy. This is a good way to have the ability to use the new boards.

MaqTruck

Reaction score
Same thing happened to me. I decided it was a deeper issue so I also didn’t try to fix it.

I know right. I want to enjoy a few tanks of gas at least. I keep a mileage log of all my cars and a few times it has warned me of issues early. I have had this truck over a year and have been estimating mpg based on old EPA numbers.

MaqTruck

Reaction score
The cluster I ended up installing had some bulbs that were bad. So I decided to replace the bulbs with LED bulbs. I'm happy with the result.A video of the process

MaqTruck

Reaction score
My old rusted fuel tank was leaking, So I decided to replace it along with a pump and hangar assembly. I drove around on Empty for weeks. If there was only a few gallons in the tank, it didn't leak. If feels good to not have to worry about and not park in the back lot at work. And, I documented most of what I did in a video.

Replacing the fuel tank and fuel pump

Attachments

• IMG_20210814_194725206.jpg
    IMG_20210814_194725206.jpg
    233.4 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_20210819_193219400_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20210819_193219400_HDR.jpg
    414.8 KB · Views: 3

MaqTruck

Reaction score
I swapped in a "better" cluster and the speed was wrong. I just learned that it is possible to replace 7 green fuses in the instrument cluster's circuit board with DIP switches. This allows the speedometer to be calibrated to your rear end and tire size. This is old news to some, but it was new to me. Once again, the knowledge shared on forums is priceless. The is for the early moon clusters.

MaqTruck

Reaction score
Getting on the passenger side of the truck when I locked it was getting old. So, I decided to tackle fixing the door lock on the driver side. I ended up reconnecting the lock cylinder and replacing the lock actuator. Somehow, the rod connected to the cylinder became unattached. But, everything is working now. And, I documented it with pictures and video.