700R4 TV holddown bolt broke

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So my brother has a C1500 and he told me he was trying to adjust his tv cable and the bolt that holds down the clamp on the passenger side snapped off. It's on the topside of the pan, and pretty tight in there against the trans. tunnel and next to the servo...

Do you guys I think that if we drop the tailhousing of the transmission there will be enough room to weld a nut on it? I'll have to borrow my BIL's 120V FCAW machine, since his truck is in his driveway and my welders are 240V. He said there's about 1/4" of the bolt sticking up, now rounded over from him trying to turn it with vice grips. Obviously trying to avoid removing the entire transmission, but that may be the only option now.

I don't know anything about this transmission, but trying to help him out. If we have to remove it it should be the same installation as the 4LXXe, right? Converter spacing is the same 1/8" to 3/16"? It was rebuilt some years ago and everything was working fine, so will probably just double check this.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
my brother has a C1500 and he told me he was trying to adjust his tv cable and the bolt that holds down the clamp on the passenger side snapped off. It's on the topside of the pan, and pretty tight in there against the trans. tunnel and next to the servo...
Why was he over there? That's not where the adjustment is.

Do you guys I think that if we drop the tailhousing of the transmission there will be enough room to weld a nut on it?
No...but try it anyway. I've been wrong before.

I'll have to borrow my BIL's 120V FCAW machine, since his truck is in his driveway and my welders are 240V.
You're saying your welders are big and non-portable?

FCAW stinks, but if that's what you have to use, that's what you use. IF (big IF) that machine converts from FCAW to MIG (some do, some don't) make sure the polarity is set properly. FCAW uses backwards polarity from MIG. I forget which uses which polarity, just that they're backwards, and if they're set wrong for the process being used, you get a lot of chickenshiit.

If we have to remove it it should be the same installation as the 4LXXe, right?
Except that the 4LxxE doesn't have a TV cable. ;)

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Why was he over there? That's not where the adjustment is.

No...but try it anyway. I've been wrong before.

You're saying your welders are big and non-portable?

FCAW stinks, but if that's what you have to use, that's what you use. IF (big IF) that machine converts from FCAW to MIG (some do, some don't) make sure the polarity is set properly. FCAW uses backwards polarity from MIG. I forget which uses which polarity, just that they're backwards, and if they're set wrong for the process being used, you get a lot of chickenshiit.

Except that the 4LxxE doesn't have a TV cable. ;)
Yes, I've got a Hobart Ironman 210 and a Dialarc 250, both are 240V. I just remembered my BIL 120V "Handy MIG" or something like that does in fact to MIG. I borrowed it last time to do a handrail job on my 2 story addition and it performed very well. But dragging the Argon/CO2 is going to be a pain....

I don't mind FCAW. I do mostly structural DIY projects. FCAW is actually better than MIG for structural. I know a lot of auto guys think it's garbage, and for auto sheet metal and body work I would agree. But for 1/4" and heavier FCAW (or SMAW) is actually preferred.

I don't know why he was down there messing with that bolt. He now thinks it was either the wrong bolt and/or it was over torqued by whoever rebuilt his tranny.

In any case, truck is down and we need to get this resolved.

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well, I never updated this thread...we tried welding, but that didn't work to remove that broken bolt. So we just stuck that cable tube back in there. I think he put some high temp. epoxy stuff over it to keep it in there, but it seemed like it was a good friction fit. It was working okay since this happened...fast forward until now.

Now tells me the darn thing has lost 4th! I don't know what he's going to do. He said he may be put up the truck for sale. Doh!

I looked up at the ATSG manual, and there's so many changes going back to the early 80s, that I got lost! This unit seems like a cross between a TH350 and 4L60e.

Any pointers are appreciated!