5.7 vortec long crank

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RanchWelder

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pardon me for interrupting a great thread... Shurkey and 1990Z71Swede. Your knowledge is good stuff!

Slow-c1500, have you ever replaced your O-Rings..?

Sometimes at the tank fuel lines, sometimes at the manifold lines, sometimes at the injectors.

Unless you make certain the fuel lines have brand new o-rings everywhere, you can chase this for weeks.
You could have several leaking intermittantly, if they have never been done since 1996.
Especially living in a hot sunny climate.

The ones at the tank could be square, or the fittings loose, when you pull the lines and inspect them.
When I pulled my lines, somebody had used green A/C o-rings and they were all blown out from gas.
You could have the wrong rubber at any sealed connection, performed by somebody who did not know what Nitrile Rubber is and when it is specified.

The flex lines over my transmission were rubbed through my braided lines... not leaking though...

The fuel tank O-ring on the lid of the tank could be cracked too. It's 3"diameter x 1/4" if you have the older style tank or a replacemnt aftermarket installed by somebody else. Unless you know what you have... it's all guess work.

You are not supposed to use gasket sealer on a fuel line o-rings either... but some people do anyways.
It could leak and cause a fire. Sometimes, the guy before you or sun shade auto sales mechanic used gasket sealer somewhere and sold the truck. Especially if you have the 3" o-ring at the tank cap cracked.

Look for a stain on top of the fuel tank from fuel leaking onto it from the lines or around the main tank seal.

My advice is to start here with these parts and then test again:
https://www.oreillyauto.com/shop/b/...omotive-truck-1996-chevrolet-c1500-pickup-rwd

Change all the fuel line seals end to end.
I have had right out of the box brand new auto store fuel pumps with a bad check valve before too.
The small black hose inside the fuel tank to the pump goes rotten or leaks too.

Change everything if you drop the tank. O-rings, main tank seal, fuel hose, fuel pump, strainer.
Now you know everything is good and it will likely last a long while.
$150-$200, a tough day with a full fuel tank and a few friends who do not smoke.
The tank is almost always near full when this happens...
Try to buy a Delphi or ACDelco pump, if you can find one.

Save the old pump for a spare when you find square o-rings and/or a rotten small rubber hose someplace, but change it anyways.
The small rubber hose inside the tank is completely different rubber than regular Gates Barricade 300 PSI TBI or TPI fuel line.
It is rated for submersion in gasoline.
The small hose will rot very fast if you install improper inner tank hoses with the wrong type of rubber hose.
Crumbs from the correct but rotted small line can screw up the pump and check valve, so change it all out.

The pumps don't last long and at least you will know the tank, lines, filter and rear fuel system is 100% new.

Then move upstream to injector seals and FPR diaphram, and restart your testing... if you still need to.
Buy a few extra small o-rings so when you drop or break one, you'll have an extra few on hand.

The injectors leaking cannot be verified unless all the fuel line seals are 100% with the test you are performing, in my hubmle opinion.

Lastly, if you buy a pump from a parts store, verify it is the correct pump pressure before you drop the tank.
Tripple check the numbers on the actual pump match the box and the box matches your engine VIN.

I have performed this repair, on my 1999 4.3 Vortec V-6, at 9PM in a grocery store parking lot with 5 cops watching.
The parts store sold me the BOX with a new 46psi pump and had to do the entire tank drop repair by myself, all over again.
Luckily the parts store was opened to 12PM and I got there at 2 minutes to 12 for the proper pressure fuel pump, when it still would not start, without 60 PSI. The cops gave me an ovation when it started, which was kinda humiliating at 3AM.

The second time, it was easily 1/2 hour faster.

If the suggestions in my post was already verified, please pardon me for missing something guys and girls.

Good Luck!

Last edited:

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I am now getting a code for a cylinder 7 misfire. I pulled the spark plugs and plug #7 is wet with fuel and the rest aren’t. My first thoughts are that injector #7 is leaking?
^^^After this post you replaced fuel injector spider.
Update: I haven’t tried the disabled injector test yet, but I pulled each spark plug to look at them, and #7 is slightly wet with fuel. None of the others are wet, but some have a slight fuel smell on them.
^^^This with new spider.

Are you still getting misfire codes for #7? Did you ever do compression test?

slow_c1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
^^^After this post you replaced fuel injector spider.

^^^This with new spider.

Are you still getting misfire codes for #7? Did you ever do compression test?
I haven’t done the compression test yet, but there is no misfire anymore.

slow_c1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Pardon me for interrupting a great thread... Shurkey and 1990Z71Swede. Your knowledge is good stuff!

Slow-c1500, have you ever replaced your O-Rings..?

Sometimes at the tank fuel lines, sometimes at the manifold lines, sometimes at the injectors.

Unless you make certain the fuel lines have brand new o-rings everywhere, you can chase this for weeks.
You could have several leaking intermittantly, if they have never been done since 1996.
Especially living in a hot sunny climate.

The ones at the tank could be square, or the fittings loose, when you pull the lines and inspect them.
When I pulled my lines, somebody had used green A/C o-rings and they were all blown out from gas.
You could have the wrong rubber at any sealed connection, performed by somebody who did not know what Nitrile Rubber is and when it is specified.

The flex lines over my transmission were rubbed through my braided lines... not leaking though...

The fuel tank O-ring on the lid of the tank could be cracked too. It's 3"diameter x 1/4" if you have the older style tank or a replacemnt aftermarket installed by somebody else. Unless you know what you have... it's all guess work.

You are not supposed to use gasket sealer on a fuel line o-rings either... but some people do anyways.
It could leak and cause a fire. Sometimes, the guy before you or sun shade auto sales mechanic used gasket sealer somewhere and sold the truck. Especially if you have the 3" o-ring at the tank cap cracked.

Look for a stain on top of the fuel tank from fuel leaking onto it from the lines or around the main tank seal.

My advice is to start here with these parts and then test again:
https://www.oreillyauto.com/shop/b/...omotive-truck-1996-chevrolet-c1500-pickup-rwd

Change all the fuel line seals end to end.
I have had right out of the box brand new auto store fuel pumps with a bad check valve before too.
The small black hose inside the fuel tank to the pump goes rotten or leaks too.

Change everything if you drop the tank. O-rings, main tank seal, fuel hose, fuel pump, strainer.
Now you know everything is good and it will likely last a long while.
$150-$200, a tough day with a full fuel tank and a few friends who do not smoke.
The tank is almost always near full when this happens...
Try to buy a Delphi or ACDelco pump, if you can find one.

Save the old pump for a spare when you find square o-rings and/or a rotten small rubber hose someplace, but change it anyways.
The small rubber hose inside the tank is completely different rubber than regular Gates Barricade 300 PSI TBI or TPI fuel line.
It is rated for submersion in gasoline.
The small hose will rot very fast if you install improper inner tank hoses with the wrong type of rubber hose.
Crumbs from the correct but rotted small line can screw up the pump and check valve, so change it all out.

The pumps don't last long and at least you will know the tank, lines, filter and rear fuel system is 100% new.

Then move upstream to injector seals and FPR diaphram, and restart your testing... if you still need to.
Buy a few extra small o-rings so when you drop or break one, you'll have an extra few on hand.

The injectors leaking cannot be verified unless all the fuel line seals are 100% with the test you are performing, in my hubmle opinion.

Lastly, if you buy a pump from a parts store, verify it is the correct pump pressure before you drop the tank.
Tripple check the numbers on the actual pump match the box and the box matches your engine VIN.

I have performed this repair, on my 1999 4.3 Vortec V-6, at 9PM in a grocery store parking lot with 5 cops watching.
The parts store sold me the BOX with a new 46psi pump and had to do the entire tank drop repair by myself, all over again.
Luckily the parts store was opened to 12PM and I got there at 2 minutes to 12 for the proper pressure fuel pump, when it still would not start, without 60 PSI. The cops gave me an ovation when it started, which was kinda humiliating at 3AM.

The second time, it was easily 1/2 hour faster.

If the suggestions in my post was already verified, please pardon me for missing something guys and girls.

Good Luck!
The o rings that go between the spider and fuel lines are new, and so are the ones for the fuel lines located behind the engine.

slow_c1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
After around 100 miles, I checked the spark plugs again and it seems that it hasn’t been depositing fuel on plug 7 anymore. I opened the throttle body and there is a decently strong gas smell in there, under the plenum. It makes me think the regulator is leaking, and not the injectors.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
After around 100 miles, I checked the spark plugs again and it seems that it hasn’t been depositing fuel on plug 7 anymore. I opened the throttle body and there is a decently strong gas smell in there, under the plenum. It makes me think the regulator is leaking, and not the injectors.
Maybe it wasn’t you, but I thought you did a test to see if anything was leaking before plenum went back on. Maybe it was another.

RanchWelder

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The NutZ Set...
Went through 3 of them on my 4.3L...
Back then they were $350 a set...

(TBI is better/more simple... for this reason alone...)

The detergents and seasonal fuel additives cause crumbs of metal nano particles to form behind the screens in that octopus and inside the filters and injector circuits.

These small brown micro specs will cause a lot of problems, as they magically grow inside this poorly designed nightmare unit.
If the NutZ set is old, the plastic screens are cracked and the tubing will be brittle, so you cannot fix or dis-assemble it without making things worse.
Nothing can clean the system if those plastic injectors are corroded and full of the brown crumbs.

Plan on replacing the NutZ Set every 2-3 years, if your local fuel stations are all using fuel from the same contaminated source...
Most people have no idea the gas stations all use the same tanks at the source of truck deliveries.
The only difference is the small batch of proprietary cleaners which the depot dumps into the truck, before it leaves the Tank Yard for delivery to the fuel stations, based upon which station brand name is on the sign.

It is all basically the same gas no matter who you buy it from.

Where I live, the fuel travels over 100 miles over the mountains where the trucks change altitude of over 5000 ft.
When the trucks are 1/2 full, the altitude and air density causes condensation and water to form inside the tanker trucks, so we get water in our fuel systems all the time. Dry gas helps, but it does not fix all the sediments and corrosive problems which any water causes once it is inside the entire fuel delivery network. The Nutz Set is the final destination for all that contamination.

Buy a new NutZ set and fix every o-ring in the entire system or keep having pressure issues...
Do NOT buy a used NutZ SET. Please...

I would recommend you buy 2 and keep a working backup in case auto parts deliveries become screwed up again, if you intend to keep this engine in the configuration you have now.

If the injectors are semi-blocked, or leaking, the intermittent back pressure on the entire system is blowing out your worn or defective o-rings, wherever you have not already replaced them (in my experience...)

Then the leaks or blockages, are confusing your computer and possbly ruining your engine and burning your pistons, if the computer or lack of pressure causes a lean condition.

The age of your truck denotes the entire system MUST be inspected and brought up the spec.
This is good practice for you before you build your new engine, so try to stay positive.

GM Engineers designed a system... you cannot expect to peck away at one thing and fix everything, if you have no clue what else you might find by thorough investigation.
Your local repair shop is hoping you get frustrated and fix one stoopid thing at a time... 1) $$$$ 2)$$ 3)$$$ 4)$$$$

You should plan on pulling the valve covers and adjust your rocker arms.
All the rough idle, pinging and lean condition, could easily have mal-adjusted your valve train.

Take 2 hours and re-adjust your valves to factory specs, so you do not confuse rough idle or timing issues with this current fuel system dilemma.
You may experience what seems like timing issues, due to sloppy rockers and valves.
Check for loose lock nuts on the rocker arms and replace them if they were found on a loose rocker, before you bend a valve.

When one thing screws up, the vibrations can cause additional issues.

Don't worry. Take your time and document everything you touch, on paper, by the numbers.
Take photos of everything before you disassemble the plenum to expose the NutZ Set and rockers.

When you open the plenum to get to the injector/FPR set, you may as well adjust the valves, while your entire top end and vacuum system is all opened up!

Lots of pictures, label every wire, do not drop the bolts, use a magnet. Don't get distracted and do not work in the heat of the summer sun.

If you break one or two or three of the injector clips and it goes into your engine through the holes in the valley, you have to plan on dropping the oil to get the plastic out before in breaks up and clogs your oil pump and oil starves your main bearings.

Cover the holes into the engine with clean rags before you unplug any injector remove a single NutZ Set screw.
If you are missing a torx screw, you cannot install the new set or run the engine until you find it.

You got this!

Last edited: