5.7 vortec long crank

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

slow_c1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hey guys new member here. I have a 96 c1500 5.7 vortec that is having trouble starting. It always starts every time, but I usually have to crank 5-6 seconds. I should also mention that once it made a grinding sound, but only once out of the hundreds of times that I’ve started it. It doesn’t seem to be a temperature dependent problem. Has new cap, rotor, plugs, wires, mpfi spider. I have also tried cycling the key on and off to prime the fuel pump, but that doesn’t seem to help so I think it’s not a fuel pressure problem. Any help? Thanks in advance.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What is the fuel pressure during "prime"?

First Guess: None. Engine has to crank long enough to build oil pressure before fuel pump will run. If you're really, really lucky, the fuel pump relay has failed, and it's not a wiring or ECM issue.

slow_c1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
What is the fuel pressure during "prime"?

First Guess: None. Engine has to crank long enough to build oil pressure before fuel pump will run. If you're really, really lucky, the fuel pump relay has failed, and it's not a wiring or ECM issue.
Could a small oil leak at the oil cooler lines be related to this, since it would be decreasing the oil pressure?

slow_c1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
No.

If the engine has ~7 psi of oil pressure, the switch closes and supplies a power path for the fuel pump.

The basic issue is not oil pressure, it's the failed fuel pump relay, fuel pump relay harness, or failed ECM.
Ok. I should also mention that the truck usually starts right up in the morning, after it’s been sitting overnight. It’s just during the day when it hasn’t been sitting as long, it cranks for a while and starts. I don’t think it is related to the outdoor temperature, instead how long the truck has been sitting. Is the fuel pump wiring/relay/ecu still the most likely culprit?

slow_c1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I don’t have access to a fuel pressure test tool but I will let you know once I get one.

slow_c1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ok I got the Maddox fuel pump test gauge. The fuel pressure is 54psi for the first 2 seconds when the key is turned to the on position. Then it clicks, and the pressure slowly drops down.