5.7 Starting Issue

Discussion in 'Engine Performance + Maintenance' started by Slime, Dec 26, 2018.

1. HotWheelsBurban

HotWheelsBurban Burbs are great!

Have you checked the fuel pump relay? Swap it with another one with the same pins and see if you're making fuel pressure. Lots easier than messing with the pump.

SUBURBAN5 likes this.
  2. Slime

Slime OBS Enthusiast

No, I don't have an extra relay, but I'll check. When I put the last pump in,I don';t think the old one was bad. I think it was this issue...whatever it is..

HotWheelsBurban likes this.
  3. Slime

Slime OBS Enthusiast

So, while I'm waiting for my new leads for my multimeter I go out to see if the truck still starts. It does, but now along with the 1406 EGR code that is there on and off again since I did my intake gasket, it now gives me a 0137 code?! Doesn't show for a 1996 chevrolet, but generic codes say its an Oxygen Sensor Circuit Low Voltage (Bank 1 Sensor 2) - see our "articles" link for additional help with these generic check engine light codes ?! Anyone seen this before?

4. Schurkey

Schurkey I'm Awesome

How old is/are the O2 sensor(s)?

5. Slime

Slime OBS Enthusiast

Don't know. I've owned the truck for 15 years and haven't replaced one. The tests I just finished say that it's the ICM. I swapped it with a junkyard part had but it didn't help. I have no way of knowing if the one I have is good, so who knows. One thing I have been able to deduct is the problem does seem to occur when its wet or has been raining. Seems it will be this way for a couple days, so I may run more tests tomorrow..

6. Slime

Slime OBS Enthusiast

And, I go outside today..dry but cool, fires right up. Drove it to run errands, no problem..so now I'm logging the info to see if some days are different than others.

7. stutaeng

stutaeng I'm Awesome

Seems like you have more than one problem...

8. Slime

Slime OBS Enthusiast

EXACTLY! LOL
    Just drove it to the store. now I get a 1351

P1351….Ignition control circuit voltage high

P1351….Ignition control circuit open
    First time for that one..

9. stutaeng

stutaeng I'm Awesome

Oh, man! Well, for the time being I would focus on the these codes and the no-start condition. Don't worry about the O2 sensors for now if the truck doesn't stall or run like crap. It sounds like the truck idles and runs okay, when it runs?

You are just going to have to go to the basics: spark, fuel, air, and compression. If not, you are going to be chasing your tail for a while! On your sensors, you have to check for proper ground, 12V+ and reference voltage. You really need a scanner with live data to see what the ECU is seeing.

https://chevroletforum.com/forum/general-tech-10/p1351-code-no-start-69756/

10. Slime

Slime OBS Enthusiast

Oddly, this is the first time it has kicked the 1351 code. The one it normally throws is for the EGR but it doesn't effect it as far as I can tell. I have a scan gauge on the vehicle. That's how I get and clear codes. Like I said, when it starts it runs like a champ..

stutaeng likes this.