5.3L LM7 Swap into OBS

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MrPink

Bainisteoir Páirteanna
Reaction score
DOD/AFM deletes are not that complicated, it's just costly, as you can tune them out on the cheap and run the risk of an AFM lifter going kaboom. Or spend the ~800 or so and do it right. And Holdener is right, there isn't much that can be squeezed out of them in n/a form. They are almost to their peak power by design, and it is stupid.

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
@MrPink About the AFM/DOD delete: So the right way to do it is to open the engine...? What do they do, replace the actual lifters for non AFM/DOD lifters? Same for the LOMA? Plus, the tune, right?

My co-worker has a '17 or so Silverado and he thinks he may have had an issue with his engine regarding that cylinder de-activation system. Dealership didn't confirm the diagnosis because the symptoms couldn't be replicated, etc....He looked at getting it deleted, and was told only a tune is all he needed by one guy, but another guy was saying he needed a "kit." He said he doesn't like the system to begin with. Something about a delay or hesitation when it kicks in. I can see it not being desirable, LOL.

MrPink

Bainisteoir Páirteanna
Reaction score
yep there is plenty of Kit's out there that replace the VLOM with a plate, lifters, cam. it's the correct way of doing it. Tuning it out is just putting a band aid of sorts on it as it's the hard parts that fail not the tune.

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
yep there is plenty of Kit's out there that replace the VLOM with a plate, lifters, cam. it's the correct way of doing it. Tuning it out is just putting a band aid of sorts on it as it's the hard parts that fail not the tune.
Thank you! I'll pass that on to my co-worker.

What about the engines that have VVT but not DOD like the L96/LY6? Any common failures on those related to the VVT? My 2020 Express van has the L96, which I believe was the last 6.0 produced by GM before they switched to the new 6.6 gas engine in 2021. I'm obviously not expecting to be messing with the engine anytime soon...

MrPink

Bainisteoir Páirteanna
Reaction score
The VVT can be pinned/deleted out. Comp makes a kit as does BTR

Last edited:

Stumpy

Heavy Chevy
Reaction score
I use to work with a guy that had the lifter failure/oil consumption on his 2010 5.3 Silverado. Lucky for him, he had a good dealer, and they were able to get him a new short block, under warranty. Seeing his trouble, and reading about it online, I used a Diablo tuner to turn off 4 cylinder mode, when I tuned my 08 Sierra I had at the time. Like stated above, that's a band aid fix, and not necessarily going to keep you from having a problem, but seems to help. There's also a Range device that plugs into the OBD port, that turns it off, for about half the price of a hand held tuner, but that's all it does.

I'm sure @MrPink knows way more about that stuff, than my limited experience.

MrPink

Bainisteoir Páirteanna
Reaction score
I use to work with a guy that had the lifter failure/oil consumption on his 2010 5.3 Silverado. Lucky for him, he had a good dealer, and they were able to get him a new short block, under warranty. Seeing his trouble, and reading about it online, I used a Diablo tuner to turn off 4 cylinder mode, when I tuned my 08 Sierra I had at the time. Like stated above, that's a band aid fix, and not necessarily going to keep you from having a problem, but seems to help. There's also a Range device that plugs into the OBD port, that turns it off, for about half the price of a hand held tuner, but that's all it does.

I'm sure @MrPink knows way more about that stuff, than my limited experience.
Yeah, I can't tell you the amount of times we have warrantied a short block because of DOD failures. It was a good idea on paper but not implemented very well.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
*cough cough* Cadillac 4-6-8

So, the old 350s were never built to their max potential from the factory, and the LS motors are? Kinda reminds me of an article I read years ago about Porsche using computer modelling and simulation to build the motor right to the power level they wanted. Any modifications and the motor fell apart. I can't find any reference, but I think it was pre-IMS bearing.