4wd trans and transfer In 2wd truck?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

graywesley

Reaction score
I have a 4wd 96 suburban I bought for $300 for parts...got it running but the flexplate is chewed up trans needs to be dropped. My daily 97 2wd just took a **** on me. Can I use the 4wd transmission and transfer case in it just modifying the drive shaft?

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
No, the ouput shafts in the 2wd vs 4x4 transmissions are different...

Edit: I see what you are asking now, you want to keep the T-case attached to the transmission... Doesn't the TCase have a separate mount? I suppose if you get it mounted and take care of the driveshaft, it will work.

I would just find a 2wd transmission.

Last edited:

Zerio29

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
The tail shaft of the transmission would be different, but I don't see why you couldn't hang the 4wd trans and t-case in it if you modify the driveshaft. I think they're the same U-joints. It would just be a useless transfer case. Personally, you'd be better off selling the good 4wd one with the t-case and buying a 2wd trans. you'd probably come out ahead.

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
But you would have a 2 wheel drive low speed machine when in 4 low minnus 2? :jester:

graywesley

Reaction score
Yes thats why I was actually considering it I already have a locking differential or 2 tire fire so a hi and low is kinda appealing. And I feel like messing with the drive shaft is cheaper than anything else cause I already have everything sitting there.

graywesley

Reaction score
The tail shaft of the transmission would be different, but I don't see why you couldn't hang the 4wd trans and t-case in it if you modify the driveshaft. I think they're the same U-joints. It would just be a useless transfer case. Personally, you'd be better off selling the good 4wd one with the t-case and buying a 2wd trans. you'd probably come out ahead.
Yeah but if I just get a 2wd I'll just fix the flexplate on the Burban instead of selling. Things are a little tight right now so trying to find the cheapest route.

Zerio29

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah but if I just get a 2wd I'll just fix the flexplate on the Burban instead of selling. Things are a little tight right now so trying to find the cheapest route.
Fair enough. Maybe where it's because its where I'm from (where 4wd in a daily is a necessity in a truck), but a 4wd tranny with a t-case in good running shape is worth double that of a 2wd. In that sense it would be cheaper because you'd actually make money selling the one you have and buying another.

But you would have a 2 wheel drive low speed machine when in 4 low minnus 2? :jester:
I've done this a time or 2 on my 4wd... just drop the front driveshaft for some easy brake stands :p

AuroraGirl

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I feel like this idea is hell on a tcase, at least thats my understanding of a NP205/NP208 in 4lo with nothing on the front output.

Nad_Yvalhosert

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I feel like this idea is hell on a tcase, at least thats my understanding of a NP205/NP208 in 4lo with nothing on the front output.
It's a '97, so it has to be a 4L60e with the round electrical connector. His donor is a '96, so it's a NP241 or NP243. Besides, neither the 205 nor the 208 will connect to the 6-bolt tranny mount.

O.P. you can NOT drive a late model NP241 or NP243 without the front driveshaft to seal the front output. It'll leak all the fluid straight out of the rubber boot that surrounds the yoke part of the front driveshaft.