4wd trans and transfer In 2wd truck?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

graywesley

Reaction score
That being said, the NP241 in my '88 has a yoke mount on the front driveshaft. I have driven that truck without a front driveshaft. No problem.
However, the VSS is in the t-case, not in the tranny case like yours. And the '88 part isn't compatible with the '97 speed buffer.
Thanks for the info I decIded to 4l80 swap.and rebuild the 4l60 stronger.

Nad_Yvalhosert

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks for the info I decIded to 4l80 swap.and rebuild the 4l60 stronger.
I thought you wanted to do this on the cheap? That is the most expensive option out there. Buying a 4L80, driveshaft, paying to rebuild the 4L60, already paid for a near useless donor truck

4L80 swap will require repinning the harness, and adding 2 more wires to the connector. You'll need a completely new driveshaft and 2 new tranny cooler lines.

Its not completely permanent, but if you're gonna rebuild the 4L60 too... why? Do you intend to reinstall the 4L60 in the truck, thus undoing the harness mods, and throwing away the 400 bucks you spent on the driveshaft, and replacing the tranny lines again? It's a costly step down in strength.

Last edited:

AuroraGirl

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It's a '97, so it has to be a 4L60e with the round electrical connector. His donor is a '96, so it's a NP241 or NP243. Besides, neither the 205 nor the 208 will connect to the 6-bolt tranny mount.

O.P. you can NOT drive a late model NP241 or NP243 without the front driveshaft to seal the front output. It'll leak all the fluid straight out of the rubber boot that surrounds the yoke part of the front driveshaft.
i wasnt comparing it to swap per se, I was saying that the NP208, which is what came before and isnt all that different overall, shouldnt be ran that way (4wd with no front)

Did you use your 88 with 4lo or 4hi engaged?

Nad_Yvalhosert

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My '88 has the Posi-lock manual actuator for the front diff. I've driven in 4wd hi, with and without the front driveshaft, and low range with the front axle disconnected.
I just never had the need to remove the front shaft and try t-case low, but since it had a bolt-on flange for the driveshaft, I could.

That being said, if your t-case had a spline shaft and a boot on the front output of the t-case, DONT. It'll leak.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
It's a '97, so it has to be a 4L60e with the round electrical connector. His donor is a '96, so it's a NP241 or NP243. Besides, neither the 205 nor the 208 will connect to the 6-bolt tranny mount.

O.P. you can NOT drive a late model NP241 or NP243 without the front driveshaft to seal the front output. It'll leak all the fluid straight out of the rubber boot that surrounds the yoke part of the front driveshaft.

Mine bolts to a yoke that's bolted to the 243, I'm not picking up what you're putting down here. No rubber boots on either of my trucks, but the dually has the BW case.