4L70E install and extracurricular stupidity

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

shovelbill

Oh, the horror...
Reaction score
X2 on the local builders... I had a guy here rebuild one of my 4L60Es with a ton of upgraded parts. Guaranteed more than what comes in that GM performance 4L70E. Including removal and reinstallation he charged me about $2600.

@rhino helped me pick the internals, I'd message him if you have any specific questions. Guy knows his stuff, and will get you amazing prices on trans parts.

That sure seems like a good deal to me.....

shovelbill

Oh, the horror...
Reaction score
doesn't seem like a bad deal when it costs me $3k to get a stock rebuild on a 4l60e here in marin.

I feel ya man...
I live in zoo yawk ******(nyc)......where bottled water is $3........I had the job done 250 miles north of me in Utica, NY.
Freddy Jacobs of Jacobs Motorsports did it......I consider him brilliant, honest and great to work with .

shovelbill

Oh, the horror...
Reaction score
I got a Hughes Performance torque converter.....2k stall and the GM adaptor kit......this transmission belongs behind an LS motor, not a Vortec....input shaft is totally different....and nobody knew this until it showed up......GM makes ONE converter for this combo....and it costs $830 with a 2400-2800 stall........I wanted it lower since I tried the TCI Breakaway TCI when I swapped in the stroker.......I didn't like it.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ah yeah didn't realize you were in NYC. Seems like the more metro areas always have higher prices on rebuilds. Seems like you've got a handle on it though. Good luck!

beardeddummy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
We had a 4l70e come through the shop the guy had paper work on it showing it was a 4l70e that's all we found in it. I said to my boss we sell pretty much the same thing for 850 with a 1 year unlimited mileage warranty with a converter. he said it makes me sick I can't get no more out of them than that. thinking back on it now it may have had a 5 pinion planetary but I've seen the 4 pinion planetary live behind 500hp in a truck

shovelbill

Oh, the horror...
Reaction score
Ah yeah didn't realize you were in NYC. Seems like the more metro areas always have higher prices on rebuilds. Seems like you've got a handle on it though. Good luck!

i'm doing my best to move out this liberal city of Babble.....I'm sitting in Utica right now looking at places to hang my hat. got the truck back yesterday.
I just took a layoff from work.....going in December 15th for another back surgery....seems I need 6 more bolts and such put in so I can keep on "keep on keepin on".....walking is NOT under rated

that was another major consideration to going this route with the transmission......I won't be riding Harleys any time soon, so I needed the truck done before I go in for maintenance.......

shovelbill

Oh, the horror...
Reaction score
We had a 4l70e come through the shop the guy had paper work on it showing it was a 4l70e that's all we found in it. I said to my boss we sell pretty much the same thing for 850 with a 1 year unlimited mileage warranty with a converter. he said it makes me sick I can't get no more out of them than that. thinking back on it now it may have had a 5 pinion planetary but I've seen the 4 pinion planetary live behind 500hp in a truck

well....I for one wish I could have had Fred rebuild mine better than what GM does for less than what I paid.......He told me for the money, time(3 days shipping) and what it is the deal from Jegs is a good one.

Features
  • Rated for up to 495 ft/lbs of torque
  • Based on the Hydra-Matic 4L60 transmission series
  • 13 vane pump with a heat-treated stator support
  • Five pinion input and reaction carriers
  • High performance 2/4 servo
  • Heat-treated sun shell
  • Heavy duty low roller clutch assembly
  • 4WD Output shaft
  • Gear ratios: 1st: 3.06, 2nd: 1.62, 3rd: 1.00, 4th: 0.70

from what I've been able to find out, it's the same trans they put behind the newer generation trucks.....I can tell you the shifting is WAY better than the old one....my goal was to build up this 19 year old truck to be as sturdy, strong and reliable as a newer LX Sierra.

I look back at the old gen 1 ton trucks and they're pretty much on par with the new "heavy half tons"......and they're also like $50,000.

if I found a bag of money I'd buy a new Powerwagon.....'cept them fu@kers are made in mexico, my truck was made in MI.

EDIT: this is from the GM Performance catalog

FEATURED HIGHLIGHTS
  • Based on the 4L60-E/4L65-E
  • Ÿ Increased horsepower and torque capacity
  • Ÿ Features five-pinion gearsets, heat-treated stator shaft splines, induction-hardened turbine shaft, seven-plate clutch, and specific valve-body calibration
  • Ÿ Torque converter not included
  • Ÿ Use with electronic controller P/N 19212657 for carbureted and Ram Jet applications
  • Ÿ Use with electronic controller P/N 19302405 with Chevrolet Performance LS fuel injected applications
and after rebate i paid Jegs $2,282.65......was delivered by R&L in 3 days....no tax, no shipping. i actually thought it was a good deal considering i just paid $2,400 for a Baker 4 speed transmission for my shovelhead......LOL

Last edited:

beardeddummy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Honestly the main difference in ours and the 70 is updated parts minus the vette servo. they work good people who ain't too hard on it but would be a lot better with an extra 3-4 clutch