Walter, an okay daily and an okay offroader

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cjpett

Reaction score
Walter is my 1995 Cheyenne K1500. Despite the title, Walter is a great truck. Walter was picked up by my Dad probably around 2013-2014. It was owned by a drywall foreman beforehand, so it's had a pretty easy life. Since I've had it I've done quite a bit, so I'm going to go through it area by area.

Let's start with the exterior.
You must be registered for see images attach

The front end has had the most work to it exterior-wise. My buddies and I all went camping last July and right before we left to do some trails I slammed the front end into a log. So a quick trip to the Pick'n'Pull and I got a new grille. And a grille guard. And some "new" headlights. I go a little insane there. There are just so many cars and so many things to look at and if you don't get it now then you may never be able to get it again. Anyway. As soon as I got the grille guard on I ran to the Autozone and got some lights. This was a HORRIBLE purchase. They don't light ****, they don't look good, and the wiring was the length of my hand. Fortunately, my friend gave me his old foglights from his jeep. Little finagling and I got them on. Yes, they are zip tied. No, I'm probably not going to change it. In December I got a 12000-pound Badlands winch and the hidden winch mount that rough country offers. I had to do some cutting so I could have access to the clutch but overall it works great and I think it looks awesome.

I put a 3" suspension lift on it. It was pretty painless, mostly because I gave it to a mechanic. The kit I got leveled the rear, which posed two problems. 1. I like the rake. 2. For about 6 months Walter sat in a field with a bed filled with concrete, which meant the level was more like a lean. No biggie though, just bought some bigger blocks and stuck them under the leafs. Along with the lift, I got some big tires. They are 33" Milestar Patagonia's on 16" NBS Z71 wheels. I frickin love these tires. I only have a couple 100 miles on them, but they ride great, look sick, and are cheap. If they do well on the trail then they are well worth the purchase.

I also stuck some nerf bars on. I would get some real rock sliders, but I like these and they were miles cheaper.

Okay, let's move to the interior.

This is probably where I've done the most "work". By "work" I mean dumb things that didn't really need to be done but I wanted to because why not? The biggest improvement I've made is the 60/40 seat. This truck came with the awful bench seat. So another quick trip to the Pick'n'Pull and I got a really clean 60/40. No tears, decent foam, really great condition. On another trip to the Pick'n'Pull, I found a nice roof console and a mirror with a compass and temperature sensor. While I was up there I figure I replace the headliner. I thought I got OEM replacement stuff but it turns out I got suede! I was worried it would look bad but I think it really classes it up. On yet another trip to the Pick'n'Pull I found some sweet Esky and Denali stuff. I pulled the dashboard fascia, two 120MPH gauge clusters, and the center console. The Esky and Denali consoles have a whole bunch of goodies. The subwoofers are excellent under the seat if you don't have space for the whole enclosure. I spent about an hour making a temporary little box and threw it under the seat. I think I'm going to get another one and put it under the passenger seat for a little more thump. Anyway, I cleaned up the center console and fascia and gave it a couple coats of paint. Everyone goes on and on about SEM and whatnot but I went to Advanced and picked up the Dupilicolor Vinyl and Plastic Medium Grey and it's fine. It isn't an exact match, but it's close enough.

Alright, the best part of the interior is the little gauge cluster on the passenger side. You guys aren't gonna believe it, but I found it at the Pick'n'Pull! We pulled this unit from an early 90s Mitsubishi Montero. It has 3 gauges. The left one is oil pressure, then middle one is a roll/pitch thing, and the right one is the voltometer. Right now they aren't doing anything, but at some point, I would like to make one a trans temp gauge, and the other an altimeter.

The second best part is my Bluetooth radio mod. I did a whole write-up about this, but it's basically the theftlock mod on a non-theftlock unit. If you wanna look at it or try it for yourself, click here

More recently I installed a CB radio. I took a broken CD player unit and disassembled it, I then dremelled out the cover and stuck it in there. It's not perfect, but it'll do until I can model and print a better unit. It's hard to see, but you can see my antennas in the first picture. I mounted them to the rear stake holes and followed the taillight wires to the cab. I had no reason to go dual antennas, but I like them and the better front-back range will help on a lot of trails that I go on.

And finally, the engine.

Really nothing special going on here. The biggest change is the exhaust. I pulled off the stock muffler and got a Dynomax welded muffler. I would've gone with a cowboy pipe because these 5.7s sound great, but the cops are kind of strict about noise around here and it was just awful in the cab. I was fortunate enough to find a complete Magnaflow exhaust at the Pick'n'Pull, but the muffler was all cut up so I just stuck it to the back of the Dynomax. I know how restrictive the Y-Pipe is on these, so I'm planning on swapping that out sometime soon.

I'm stuck with a 4L60E right now. It's starting to slip after shifting into 1st and Reverse, but I'm not going to worry about it until it's almost all gone. I swapped out the old air intake for an open element. I know, I know, it's not going to help performance, or milage, or really anything, but I like the way it looks, and I like hearing the engine suck up the air. I changed out the side post battery mounts for the top mount ones. I've had nothing but trouble with those side mounts so I finally swapped them out. I didn't swap the battery though, I will when it dies. Other than that the engine is pretty well stock. It runs just fine right now, and there are a couple of small things I gotta fix at some point. The coolant hose to the overflow is leaking, and the windshield washer pump is dead. I think. I'm not sure. When I try to wash the windshield I only get the wipers.

I have a lot of dumb ideas and a lot of love for this truck, but I am a bit of a scatterbrain so I'm probably not going to update this very consistently, but I will try.

Future possible plans include: Half doors, a rollbar I saw at the Pick'N'Pull, new headlights, actually cleaning my truck for once, bigger lights, valve covers, upgrading audio, building a radio, and who knows what else!

GrimsterGMC

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I really like your attitude and approach to your truck. You are doing what ever you like because it's what "you" want and that is all that's important. I am always looking for things to change even if just for the challenge and the fact that it set my truck apart from the rest. It's your truck so go for broke and definitely take pictures and keep adding to this thread so we can all follow along too.

cjpett

Reaction score
Today was pretty uneventful Walter-wise. I checked the transmission fluid and it could use some topping off but the color looks good. I also finally got a chance to get out to a field and tune the antennas. I think something is up either with my setup or the SWR meter I'm using to tune it. I didn't do anything and I'm reading 1.1 and 1.2. I decided to leave it be for now because my friend needed to borrow the meter to get his all set up. I figure if he gets the same readings that I did then the SWR meter is shot. I only installed this setup last weekend so I'm still very new to CB stuff, but it's really interesting stuff. I also grabbed a couple of pics of the radio.

I really like the transmitter where it is, but there is one slightly major problem. When the shift lever is in drive the radio is completely blocked by it. I can't see it at all. I'm not going to change it though because it's really the only place I can put it while keeping it looking stock-ish. The second pic shows where I put the antennas. They looked a little wonky so I made sure the bolts are tight. They are, so it looks like I'm going to have to move some metal. You can see on the bed that I've been hit with the GM paint curse. It's especially bad on the tailgate. The off-color stuff above the wheel well was a failed rattle-can job that I threw together to protect from rust.

That's it for today! I doubt anything crazy is going to happen this week but I'll be sure to update this if it does.

Last edited:

cjpett

Reaction score
The reports are in! The SWR meter is broken. It's not a huge deal, they're like 20 bucks and it gives me an excuse to crack the old one open and see what's inside. I'm thinking one of the connectors came loose when it made sweet love to the driveway.

cjpett

Reaction score
The new SWR meter came in! Gotta love next-day delivery. I got out to the field and gave it another test. Same results. I was worried that this one was just as broken as the old one, but I figure there's no way I got two DOA meters from different companies, so I did some experimenting. So I tuned the antennas long and tested them again. I got a 2.6 on 40 and a 1.1 on 1. Turns out I had excellent tuning straight out of the box. I brought the antennas back to their original lengths and handed the meter off to my friend. We did the same tests and his setup was excellent right out of the box too. I didn't bother to test the old meter but I'm guessing it's fine too. We gave the CBs a couple of tests, and in the field, I was able to hear a guy on the interstate, about 5 miles away. When I got home I was able to talk to my friend for about 2.5 miles before it got really bad. That was with me parked in my driveway next to a tree and my house between him and me, not to mention the countless other things in the way between us, so pretty good.

In other news, I've got a general idea of what I want to do appearance-wise for Walter. I've always loved the looks of the lifted 4x4 sqaurebodies, with the big chrome rollbars and over-the-top grille guards with KC daylighters everywhere. Oh, and you can't forget the Lund Sunvisor.

None of these are great examples, but you get the idea. I already have my eyes on a roll bar that I found at a Pick'n'Pull, but my real issue is the sunvisor. I don't know anything about them. I just look up Lund Sunvisor on Ebay and Google. They seem to run 200-300 dollars, but all that I've found are in kind of poor condition. If anyone knows anything about these or knockoffs please let me know.

That's all I have for now! Looks like past me was a liar, I'm on a three-day streak!

cjpett

Reaction score
Another day, another dollar wasted. That's something my friend Charlie would always say when he was working on his 67 Camaro. That unit is so badass that it's the car on the poster for the Sweetheart car show we have here in NOCO. I was hunting around the forum today because I was bored, and oh boy do I want to waste some dollars. I decided to learn a bit more about Cab Sunvisors. The things I learned about them are as follows:
1. Lund was founded in 1965 by Allan Lund
2. There are two types, a Moonvisor, and a Sunvisor. I believe that the Moonvisor has lights where the Sunvisor doesn't, but I might have that wrong.
3. I lack critical thinking skills. For Example, it took me 2 weeks to look up "lund". I kept looking up "lund sunvisor chevy k1500" and "sunvisor chevy k1500".

While I was discovering how dumb I am, I came across a thread asking for a little eye candy. This is where I saw @Ollie B's (I can't seem to find his @) '93 stepside. Turns out he pulled the scoop off a Mercury Cyclone GT. So I want to do that now. All I have to do is find an original 1969 Ford bolt-on hood scope. No biggie right? Now, I have no problem with the more traditional hump you see on a lot of these units, but that scoop just looks so mean.

I also looked into brakes a little. They always feel a little soft on Thursdays, I don't know why. I found out about Hydroboost brakes, which I might invest in, but I don't entirely trust my power steering pump. I also learned that pulling the ABS fuse disables ABS (no shut). I pulled that when I got home, we'll see what it does tomorrow. I doubt it'll do anything though because my ABS light has been on since, well, uh, I don't know when.

I'm really excited about where this truck is going! When I did stuff last year it was mostly just based on "hey this would be cool" and "hey what if I did this", so finally having a plan is really nice.

That's about all I have for now! I keep saying to myself that I'm probably not going to post something tomorrow but I keep on coming back. I know it's early on but thanks to you folks who read my ramblings! Welp, I'm gonna try and hunt down a hood scoop. TO CRAIGSLIST!

GrimsterGMC

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Another day, another dollar wasted. That's something my friend Charlie would always say when he was working on his 67 Camaro. That unit is so badass that it's the car on the poster for the Sweetheart car show we have here in NOCO. I was hunting around the forum today because I was bored, and oh boy do I want to waste some dollars. I decided to learn a bit more about Cab Sunvisors. The things I learned about them are as follows:
1. Lund was founded in 1965 by Allan Lund
2. There are two types, a Moonvisor, and a Sunvisor. I believe that the Moonvisor has lights where the Sunvisor doesn't, but I might have that wrong.
3. I lack critical thinking skills. For Example, it took me 2 weeks to look up "lund". I kept looking up "lund sunvisor chevy k1500" and "sunvisor chevy k1500".

While I was discovering how dumb I am, I came across a thread asking for a little eye candy. This is where I saw @Ollie B's (I can't seem to find his @) '93 stepside. Turns out he pulled the scoop off a Mercury Cyclone GT. So I want to do that now. All I have to do is find an original 1969 Ford bolt-on hood scope. No biggie right? Now, I have no problem with the more traditional hump you see on a lot of these units, but that scoop just looks so mean.

I also looked into brakes a little. They always feel a little soft on Thursdays, I don't know why. I found out about Hydroboost brakes, which I might invest in, but I don't entirely trust my power steering pump. I also learned that pulling the ABS fuse disables ABS (no shut). I pulled that when I got home, we'll see what it does tomorrow. I doubt it'll do anything though because my ABS light has been on since, well, uh, I don't know when.

I'm really excited about where this truck is going! When I did stuff last year it was mostly just based on "hey this would be cool" and "hey what if I did this", so finally having a plan is really nice.

That's about all I have for now! I keep saying to myself that I'm probably not going to post something tomorrow but I keep on coming back. I know it's early on but thanks to you folks who read my ramblings! Welp, I'm gonna try and hunt down a hood scoop. TO CRAIGSLIST!
Keep thinking outside of the box, but just be aware of how much water enters the forward facing scoop when driving into heavy rain, and how much of it will end up finding it's way into your electrics.

cjpett

Reaction score
Keep thinking outside of the box, but just be aware of how much water enters the forward facing scoop when driving into heavy rain, and how much of it will end up finding it's way into your electrics.
Oh, excellent advice. I did not think about that at all. I guess that's why all those cowl induction hoods go to the windshield. I wonder how old muscle cars handled that. It also brings up the issue of snow and dust. I might just cheat and fake it. I discovered that a lot of people just cut enough for the air filter. I figure if I get a taller air filter then it will be enough to need to cut into the hood.