454 swap? What does it entail?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

UtOBS

Reaction score
I have a lead on a 454 with 156k that I can get for 400$. 700$ with fuel system. It is a 97 vortec 454.

My truck is a 1990 single cab short bed 350 with a 5 speed manual.

What does a 454 swap entail? I would like to keep the EFI as I only planing on running a mild cam.

Will it bolt up to my 5 speed (I’ll upgrade the clutch for now and drive it till breaks then get nv4500)

How plug and play is s vortec 454 swap. I figured a 454 swap might be easier than a LS as they came in these trucks for the SS, 2500s, and 3500s.

Also how hard is it to make a gen 5 454 run like a gen 6. Im aware the TBI 454 will be much more plug and play but I also don’t want to swap for an extra 30 HP. Not to mention I can get a gen 6 for cheap.

Is it pretty much the same process as an LS swap? Engine mounts, exhaust, splice harness together, mate tranny, etc.

I honestly don’t even want a ton of power. The 310hp and 410ft-lb torque I’ll get out of a cammed gen 6 454 will be plenty over my stock 230hp 300ft-lb torque. And the 454 is easy to get more power out of later down the road if I want to throw some bigger injectors, intake and heads, and more aggressive cam. Not to mention BBCs sound amazing in my opinion

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
No experience here, as my 454 is factory, but I'd want the wiring and PCM is possible. You'll also probably want a beefier transmission and rear axle.

I would not plan on this being an over the weekend swap if this is your daily driver.

99xcss4

frank'n (truburban) K-2500
Reaction score
well you have a tbi truck and that 454 is a vortec not a tbi you can swap it in but you need to decide what way you want to go if you use the vortec fuel system you need to convert to obdii your other options include a carb swap a stand alone efi system you last option is to go tbi and there are 2 ways you can do that the first is to get a factory 454 tbi pcm thottle body wire harness or you can get a aftermarket tbi system note if you do not use the vortec fuel system you will need a 4 barrel intake to either mount a carb or 4 barrel efi system or to bolt a tbi adapter to

here is a stand alone 454 tbi https://www.ebay.com/itm/2258836880...Czl9oeGolYsdyM7V/MgqA1ZUGM|tkp:Bk9SR6jKrLPRYw aftermarket 4 barrel efi systems cost about the as this also I agree that the transmission in your truck will not be happy behind a big block

CumminsFever

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The engine should bolt to your transmission, and assuming you have an nv3500, a good clutch and easy driving (no burnouts or side-Stepping the clutch) it will last you a little while.
I'd advise either carb swap, or standalone fuel injection... unless you have a donor gmt400 that you can steal parts from.

99xcss4

frank'n (truburban) K-2500
Reaction score
if you do not use the vortec system you will also need to change your valve covers because vortec oil fill is on the intake

Carlaisle

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You need a different radiator, radiator brackets, fan, and fan shroud. I would keep the vortec 454 fuel injection system for the sake of simplicity, but that means you need also need the ECM, harness, and a new fuel pump. FYI: not all of the stock fuel injection system parts for the 454 are still available new from anyone at any price. The front of your truck is going to sit a bit lower without some suspension changes. You should add a budget item for replacing the transmission and rear axle for after the big block has killed them.

Down the road, a different intake won't make much difference in power on that big block unless you're aiming for high RPMs. Reworking the exhaust and the computer tune will cost comparatively little and free up well over 100 lbs of torque.

I would be very suspect that the 156k mile 454 is about due for a rebuild. I've seen them last much longer, but that seems to be where a large percentage wear out.

Sean Buick 76

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
A LS swap will be the same amount of work and likely better. I would find a 6.0 with a computer and wiring harness and swap it in.