Gen 6 454 Questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
For the 2nd time no, the GenV block does not accept the factory GenVI roller rockers or cam. The heads and intake will bolt right up, but you may need a special head gasket to make that happen.
Roller rockers in a gen VI? I think you mean roller lifters/cam, right? They're still regular ol' stamped rockers, non-roller, at least in the ones I worked on. ... and non-adjustable :( Comp Cams has that hardware kit to make them adjustable.

You must be registered for see images attach

Richard

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Greetings 00CrewCab,

I've got a little different take on your situation. If you compartmentalize this temporary swap
the right way, and play your cards right, you may well be able to get a free ride out of a
'less desirable' Gen V motor while your Gen VI motor it out for repairs.

Thumbnail sketch:

1) Source the most promising yet affordable Gen V motor.

2) Pull your Gen VI engine out. Remove the intake manifold, sensors, etc.

3) Remove the intake manifold from the Gen V motor. (Bag the Gen V
intake & stash it for temporary safe keeping.) Swap YOUR Gen VI
intake onto the Gen V engine. Stuff this Gen V/VI hybrid into your truck,
hook it all back up, drive it.

How's it going to run right with peanut port heads, and a lower compression ratio on a stock L29 tune?

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's why I suggested swapping the heads along with the intake. But that--potentially--causes head-gasket issues.

The "peanut" ports won't make much difference at low to moderate engine speed. Lower compression will act like a semi-worn-out (or high-altitude) L29.

The burn characteristics of the older head might be of some concern...if this wasn't intended as a "temporary" engine.

b454rat

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Too bad weren’t closer, I have an L29 for a parts truck. Didn’t really get to drive it but ran decent. Local yard had 2 (last I checked) L21’s I thought about getting. But theres another project I can’t do right now….

Road Trip

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How's it going to run right with peanut port heads, and a lower compression ratio on a stock L29 tune?

Back in the Mark IV era, there were people who were forced by circumstance to mismatch
oval and rectangular ports between heads & intake manifolds. And they would run better
than one would think:

https://www.yenko.net/forum/showthread.php?t=87614

As for the compression, the key point is that this is a temporary substitution, not a
permanent downgrade. And since we're not starting with a 305, what is going to be
lost while driving at street rpm won't make that much of a difference, short-term.

Besides, if it runs too good then the Gen VI motor may never make it back into the
engine bay. Just thinking about getting all the power back could be a motivator
for the OP to see the project through to completion, sooner rather than later. :)

I know it sounds kinda funky, but a suboptimal big block is still plenty OK for
a workaround like this. I wouldn't hesitate to drive something like this for a short while...

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Roller rockers in a gen VI? I think you mean roller lifters/cam, right? They're still regular ol' stamped rockers, non-roller, at least in the ones I worked on. ... and non-adjustable :( Comp Cams has that hardware kit to make them adjustable.

You must be registered for see images attach

Richard

Yup, you got me. Words are hard.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
It's what y'all get for ******* out my Gen V. :( ;) edit - really? d0gg1ng is censored.. wow. I thought that was only a dirty word on the other side of the pond.

Richard

I kinda have one in my Monte. GenV heads but thank God for the GenVI bottom end.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
I mean, I'd rather have a Gen5 than a small block :ROFLJest:

I'd love to have an early 3500 with a 454. I'd prefer the Mk4, but I'd take the Gen5 if the rest of the truck was inline. It would just be a cruiser for me.... maybe haul bulky items once in a while.

00CrewCab

Reaction score
Here you go. Finding one of these in the treasure yard would be akin to finding a unicorn at a rodeo,
but stranger things have happened:

Note: Tip of the hat to @someotherguy for the above. :0)
Read through it, pointed to some other great articles, my only concern most of these 8.1 swap include quite a bit of fabrication or custom work, which I’m not apposed to, but I’d like to keep it as oem as possible. If I could just find a vin to order the 01-02 3500HD “classic” oem harnesses, computers, and related accessories, I’ve found loads of complete 8.1’s near me for about the same price as a good GenVI short block. But I work at a GM dealership so maybe I could talk to some of the parts guys and see what they can work up on the computers.